Author Topic: storing my copper and silver coins in paper envelope  (Read 735 times)

Offline coin_lover

storing my copper and silver coins in paper envelope
« on: July 02, 2017, 08:03:20 PM »
Hi Guys, I am saving my copper and silver coins in paper envelopes (see attached images) I hope storing them in these paper envelopes would not ham the coin - sometimes the coins move from one side to another side inside these envelopes I hope this does not remove the script or image - I mean soften it and make it plain - your comments are highly appreciated

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: storing my copper and silver coins in paper envelope
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 09:50:53 PM »
Paper is softer than metal, so it will not cause wear.

Old white paper types will contain chlorides that do terrible harm to all metals except gold, it will dull silver coins with an ugly patina that will eventually be permanent. I know of no way to determine which paper contains chlorides. Even new paper will damage proofs and discolour uncs (I have no experience with gold proofs and uncs, though). For evidence, see this thread.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline coin_lover

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 10:30:58 PM »
thanks peter well in your case you mention you had left it in paper bags for decades- I usually once a while (in 3 months or so keep taking my coins out of the envelopes and put it back in, will paper also harm silver- I understand it will not harm gold right.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 10:50:01 PM »
I can't predict if your paper bags will harm your coins, but I know there is a risk and I wanted to make you aware of it.

The coins in my late friend's collection had been in the paper bags for 20 to 40 years. However, the bags were stored in a cool and dry place and not closed off from fresh air. Taking out the coins from time to time makes no difference. If the paper is safe it doesn't do any good or harm to take them out. If the paper is unsafe, the chemical deposit will not disappear if you take out the coin. You need to clean it off to get rid of it.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline bruce61813

• Meritorious Member
    • Gringgotts Coins
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 12:39:47 AM »
Paper from wood pulp normally contains sulfur compounds, generally Sulfur Dioxide, this forms sulfurous acid. This is the reason old cheap paper turns yellow and becomes brittle. If you want to use paper, get acid free paper and use special acid free glue. They are both available from conservation material suppliers.

Bruce

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 08:51:14 AM »
The ones I use are acid-free and I haven't noticed any degradation of the coins stored in them. However, they are becoming harder to come by for some reason. I bought 2000 of them from a Danish supplier for 500 DKK per 1000 but am not sure what I will do when these run out.

My experience of plastic pockets is similarly patchy to Peter's description of paper ones. Some are fine, but some make the coins go green. And they generally cost more than the paper ones, so if I was going to go down that route I'd want to be certain they weren't the green variety.

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 01:04:20 PM »
I bought 2000 of them from a Danish supplier for 500 DKK per 1000 but am not sure what I will do when these run out.

That sounds expensive! Try Colin Cooke - I can't see any reason why they wouldn't post overseas. They don't specifically say they are acid & sulphur free but I doubt they'd use anything else. You could always ask them first.

http://www.colincooke.com/other/envelopes.html

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 01:11:36 PM »
I buy mine from Colin Cooke Coins too in boxes of 1000 = £23.00 with postage to Oz of another £15.00

Europe is £9

Quote:

1 BOX OF 1000 2" SQUARE ACID FREE WHITE PAPER COIN ENVELOPES

2 inch square, acid-free, white paper envelopes, with flaps, exactly as we ourselves use every day for storage and for sending coins to you.

Ideal for storage and writing on. 
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 01:12:46 PM »
Thanks for the tip, both. When I next run out I will contact Colin Cooke.  :)