Author Topic: Khwarezm shah, Ala ud-Din Muhammad,Jital, Sibi mint?  (Read 145 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Khwarezm shah, Ala ud-Din Muhammad,Jital, Sibi mint?
« on: July 02, 2017, 03:01:59 PM »
Got this yesterday in a small lot of junk and the Obv is nicely centred for a change, it's similar to my 2 coins of Sibi mint T.218 but there are differences so I'm not sure ?
Vic

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Khwarezm shah, Ala ud-Din Muhammad,Jital, Sibi mint?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 05:35:31 PM »
I showed a very similar one some time ago here. My conclusion at the time was that it fitted best with a Tye#218.3 type.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:21:59 PM by THCoins »

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 05:57:09 PM »
I showed a very similar one some time ago here. My conclusion at the time was that it fitted best with a Tye#218.2 type.

Yours looks more or less the same with the front of the Horse area looking different to Tye's pics, I think it's clear on these that you can actually see the Horsemans foot in the stirrup which perhaps makes it another sub type?
Vic

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 07:30:25 PM »
The appearance of the mintname made me choose Tye#218.3 for mine. But i had been wondering what the descender was doing there at the beginning of the name instead of the end. Looking at the foot in the stirrup an alternative might be Tye#220 from Bust. The mintname does show similarities.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 09:48:56 PM »
I have one example of #220 Bust mint but it's not really clear enough to compare unfortunately
Vic