login

Author Topic: Denmark: Golden Wedding Anniversary 2017  (Read 106 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW ˇ DE ˇ EU
Denmark: Golden Wedding Anniversary 2017
« on: June 11, 2017, 11:21:53 PM »
Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and her husband Prince Henrik have been married for fifty years. To celebrate the Royal Golden Wedding Anniversary, the central bank just issued a 20 kroner coin. There will also be a 500 kroner silver piece with the same design. Seems that both can be had at face; the 20 kr piece also comes in a surcharged proof version.

http://www.nationalbanken.dk/en/pressroom/Pages/2017/06/DNN201701287.aspx
https://royalmint.dk/images/pdf/Golden_Wedding_June17.pdf

Interestingly, the coins do not have the names of the two. Instead they say "Her Majesty the Queen" and "His Royal Highness the Prince".

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Denmark: Golden Wedding Anniversary 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 03:02:09 PM »
Happy to see that the designer made a great effort to put character in the heads, but wondering if he didn't overshoot the target. The moustache is the latest addition to the Henrikian face, I suppose?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Online hertfordian

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 03:06:55 PM »
Happy to see that the designer made a great effort to put character in the heads, but wondering if he didn't overshoot the target. The moustache is the latest addition to the Henrikian face, I suppose?

Peter

I'm also loving his tie in that picture!!! :-)
Ian
UK

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 03:16:42 PM »
If he's got all the dwarfs on it, it must be longer than any of Mr. Trump's ties. :)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW ˇ DE ˇ EU
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 04:13:04 PM »
My first thought was that the designer may have used sculptures of the two as examples or inspirations for his design. But of course I may be wrong. :) The monograms on the other side I like - her "M" and his (apparently twice or mirrored) "H", combined by a heart ...

(As for the small heart on the portraits side, guess these coins were still made in Denmark. New ones come from Vantaa, FI.)

Christian

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 07:01:20 PM »
I see what you mean about the "sculptural" character, and think it actually works quite well. These (almost) full-face portraits certainly work much better than several others that spring to mind, including William & Kate on their wedding commemorative and the king and queen of Sweden on theirs (1976).