login

Author Topic: Sultans of Bijapur, Muhammad Adil Shah, AE Falus, 4th series, dotted leaf motif  (Read 170 times)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
This is an excellent example of this type showing quite a bit of the legend around the leaf pattern, 11.49g

Mints working in the Bijapur area continued to copy these long after the demise of the  Adil Shahi Sultanate. As time went by the Persian legends became meaningless squiggles and in due course all pretense of a legend disappeared altogether.
The quality of the engraving on this coin suggests it is an early piece struck during the reign of Muhammad Adil Shah
Vic

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Recently, I learned that the tree in railing is the bodhi tree and that a bodhi leaf is an important Hindu symbol. While the bodhi tree is a fig tree, the bodhi leaf has taken on a traditional shape of its own (see picture.) One shouldn't expect Hindu symbols on a moslem coin, and yet... Well, I can dream, can't I?

Peter

Illustration by National_Museum_Vietnamese_History_1.jpg: Gryffindorderivative work: Jbarta (talk) - National_Museum_Vietnamese_History_1.jpg, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=15317551
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
I'm not sure which leaf is used on the Bijapur coins but leaf symbols of one kind or another are seen on other series such as the Sikh empire coins with a Pipal leaf and the Jhar leaf on Jaipur etc.
Vic