Author Topic: Urine for patina?  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Urine for patina?
« on: June 02, 2017, 05:00:13 PM »
Thanks. I read about urine patina in Larson's book and, somewhere online, about "goat patina" (apparently, you feed the coin to a goat and let it pass through its digestive system).

As for the odd silver coins I mentioned, I can't find an exact example now but this one comes close:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiberius-14-37-AD-AR-denarius-Incuse-of-obverse-RARE-/292108266970?hash=item4403026dda:g:SmAAAOSw03lY5gK8

I wrote "aluminium-painted" as the surface of such coins appears to be non-uniformly coated with a silvery paint with some gray portions visible.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Urine for patina?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 05:30:50 PM »
Both urine and the intestines of animals are heavily acidic. Both sound like uncontrolled voodoo chemistry to me. :P

The Tiberius coin doesn't look good to me. Brockage is typical for screwed and machine-struck coins. The ex-centric strike on both sides is a bit much of a coincidence and I can't explain the upward-curved edge at eight o'clock.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 05:47:44 PM »
Thanks. I was specifically referring to the paint-like silver colour, which I see on almost all "budget" silvers of Julius Caesar, Augustus, and Tiberius online.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 10:00:27 PM »
Yes, the colour looks funny on the pic, but it's better to judge in hand, as it may just be the camera.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 04:36:44 AM »
Thanks.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 05:41:21 AM »
Both urine and the intestines of animals are heavily acidic. Both sound like uncontrolled voodoo chemistry to me. :P
Urine of a healthy person is not heavily acidic. Larson's book mentions the forger Carl Wilhelm Becker, who was bit of an expert in the area, claimed that morning urine was better than afternoon urine; that a woman's urine turned bronze coins a different shade of green than a man's urine; and the urine of a beer drinker produced different tones than that of a consumer of wine. The method is to bury coins in different types of soil (with the type affecting the colour and finish as well), "sprinkle" the spot two or three times a day for a week or two, and recover them after a month
One day we may see eBay ads like "Superb patina. Personally watered!"  :D

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Honorary Member
  • Varus - may i show you our forest?
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 11:16:45 PM »
Urine of a healthy person is not heavily acidic. Larson's book mentions the forger Carl Wilhelm Becker, who was bit of an expert in the area, claimed that morning urine was better than afternoon urine; that a woman's urine turned bronze coins a different shade of green than a man's urine; and the urine of a beer drinker produced different tones than that of a consumer of wine. The method is to bury coins in different types of soil (with the type affecting the colour and finish as well), "sprinkle" the spot two or three times a day for a week or two, and recover them after a month
One day we may see eBay ads like "Superb patina. Personally watered!"  :D

Let us start an intensive test series with different wines and beers!

:)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 09:24:15 AM »
Let us start an intensive test series with different wines and beers!

:)
Save yourself the effort by ordering best quality urine bottles from me. Our carefully pre-screened subjects are fed nothing but the chosen high-quality liquor over a span of 24 hours to ensure that the resulting stuff is of the highest purity. Collection is done in a controlled environment to prevent contamination. We also subject the product to over 28 different tests in order to ensure that our customers get nothing but the best. We offer products across a wide price range to suit every budget (from 350/bottle for 1928 Chateau d'Yquem vintage to 25 per bottle for Joe's Ol' Stinky).

Free shipping worldwide if you order 4 or more bottles! I'll even throw in a small vial of dragon urine with every order. These are available in extremely limited quantity, so please hurry!

PS: To sweeten the deal, there is an exclusive 15% discount for WOC members (mention code PISSSCON15 in the order mail)!

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 11:00:41 AM »
8) This reminds me of the condom laboratory we set up in our minds as students. It didn't work. Everyone wanted to be head of research and testing and nobody wanted to keep the books. >:D

The Yquem sounds like a bargain...

Peter

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 02:43:23 PM »
Urine got its name because it contains uric acid. Or maybe uric acid got its name because a ready source was urine. Regardless it is an acid. I would think that it is the nitrogen in it that does the patination but not sure of that.

Most meats and fish as well as Brussel sprouts and spinach are fairly high in natural uric acid. Most food has some.

Dale

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 02:59:37 PM »
Watching political news should have an acidifying effect on urine also. I presume it activates the gall bladder as well.

Peter

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 06:12:18 PM »
I put out a lot of effort not watching political news. I would rather watch paint dry.
Dale

Watching political news should have an acidifying effect on urine also. I presume it activates the gall bladder as well.

Peter

Offline redwine

• liaison officer
  • Honorary Member
  • Too old to care.
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 03:59:37 PM »
Save yourself the effort by ordering best quality urine bottles from me. Our carefully pre-screened subjects are fed nothing but the chosen high-quality liquor over a span of 24 hours to ensure that the resulting stuff is of the highest purity. Collection is done in a controlled environment to prevent contamination. We also subject the product to over 28 different tests in order to ensure that our customers get nothing but the best. We offer products across a wide price range to suit every budget (from 350/bottle for 1928 Chateau d'Yquem vintage to 25 per bottle for Joe's Ol' Stinky).

Free shipping worldwide if you order 4 or more bottles! I'll even throw in a small vial of dragon urine with every order. These are available in extremely limited quantity, so please hurry!

PS: To sweeten the deal, there is an exclusive 15% discount for WOC members (mention code PISSSCON15 in the order mail)!

;D ;D
I'll happily work for you as long as you don't take the P.
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 04:08:47 PM »
Overlord's sixth law of digression: Any discussion on urine will invariably turn to politics at some point of time.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 05:56:28 PM »

;D ;D
I'll happily work for you as long as you don't take the P.
Now introducing Redwine's Red. This extremely rare vintage has a limited issue of 100 bottles only. Each of the numbered, limited-edition Ferrari-red bottles is hand-signed by the legend himself and accorded the highest rating of "UR-65" by our in-house expert Dr. UR Pee (certificate of authenticity included). This is your only chance to own one as once they are sold, they will be gone forever. The market value of these is bound to skyrocket in the near future. We urge you not to miss this investment opportunity of a lifetime.

We also discovered a cache of "unsearched" urine bottles in our cellar. These were bottled more than half a century ago, wrapped in brown paper envelopes, and left untouched in the cellar till we happened to stumble upon them. There is no telling what you will find in them. We randomly opened 5 bottles and found two of them stuffed with 24-caret gold leaf! However, since we are too busy to open and check them all, we are offering our customers the once in a lifetime opportunity to buy these off our hands at USD 200 per lot of 5 bottles (shipping extra). Please note that due to the unsearched nature of this lot, no returns will be accepted.