Author Topic: Muse Macht Moneten (Berlin)  (Read 199 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Muse Macht Moneten (Berlin)
« on: May 15, 2017, 06:18:42 PM »
Yesterday (actually Fri-Sun) I was in Berlin, and one of the items on my To-Do list was the Bode Museum. Currently, until the end of May, a special exhibition called Muse Macht Moneten can be visited there. Did not have enough time in February, but this time I was determined to make it, rain (mostly) or shine (not so much on this Saturday morning). One of the first objects you notice when you enter the building is Nikolaus Eberstaller's pig ...

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: Muse Macht Moneten (Berlin)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 06:22:28 PM »
Most of the objects in this exhibition are behind glass. But then, a medal can also be a tactile experience. This medal by Peter R. Dünwald you are even invited to touch. :)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 06:25:07 PM »
Here we have a collection of "Kretzer" notes designed by Helmut King. And Anna Martha Napp has the exhibition title on her medal.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 06:30:18 PM »
They also have a donation box there. Of course not a simple box. ;) And we are getting from the special exhibition to the "regular" exhibits; here is a medal showing Piazza San Pietro ...

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 06:32:13 PM »
You will or may know about the Becker counterfeits; the museum has a few dies that were used to make them. Sorry, the photos are not that great ...

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 06:33:46 PM »
Many of the regular numismatic exhibits can be viewed here by the way:
http://ww2.smb.museum/ikmk/rundgang/index.php?lang=en

Enjoy!
Christian

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 10:08:30 PM »
I wish I were in Berlin, but I am in faraway München today with business on my hands and mind. Thank you for those pics, chrisild. I indeed enjoyed them. Here's evidence, aided by bad eyesight. Cover your pic 03BodeTouch2.jpg from the lips down and you will see appear a tall, slim angel with spread wings and wild hair...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 12:11:55 PM »
Unfortunately that does not work for me, maybe because I have seen her ;) a few times. Also, there are a few medals featuring various body parts of that woman. The couple depicted below is behind glass though.

At the bottom of the upper medal you see the words "Bütz mich". That is Rhenish (Cologne, Düsseldorf, etc.) for "Kiss me". The other piece - probably designed to be the other side - says "Muse Macht (or macht) Moneten" roughly where the gown ends. Below, two more round objects defecating three coins. One of these three has the inscription "Pecunia non olet". Admittedly I was glad that the experience was a visual one only ...

This medal was of course made to reflect the exhibition motto or theme in an amusing way. Peter Ralf Dünwald also makes medals like this one. That is in the Coin Cabinet and depicts the "famous" silhouette of Dresden as seen from the northern bank of the Elbe river.

Christian