login

Author Topic: Question about storage of very thick coins  (Read 278 times)

Offline maudry

Question about storage of very thick coins
« on: June 02, 2017, 10:58:56 AM »
Hi,
I have organized my collection of Indian coins in 2X2 flips which I store in albums arranged by State/ruler etc.
On the flips I write all the information that is important to me like name of the state/dependency or whatever, ruler, denomination, catalogue reference(s), ...
This is very convenient for the biggest part of my collection.
But the Mughal dams and other thick and extra thick coins do not fit into this scheme.
So I wanted to know how those of you concerned are storing these coins in your collection.
I have tried several solutions but so far nothing made me really happy.
I believe I am not the only one to have this problem.
some of my coins are in flips and some other in paper envelopes but none are stored in the albums with the other coins.
So any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Question about storage of very thick coins
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 03:21:58 PM »
While they are not very common, there are standard size album pages with 12, rather than 20 pockets, taking 25x25mm coin cards. Make sure they are for four ring albums. I get mine from Mevius in Vriezenveen, the Netherlands.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline maudry

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 03:51:55 PM »
Thank you Peter,
My question was not about large coins but about thick coins.
Some of the Indian coins I have are more than 10mm thick and they don't just fit into an album.
I have tried but it does not look like a good idea  ::)

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 03:52:54 PM »
You cannot beat a good old fashioned coin cabinet for displaying thick coins, here  my Suri Paisas & Mughal Dams are stored with easy access to examine
Vic

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Overlord's stamp and coin collection
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 04:02:00 PM »
You cannot beat a good old fashioned coin cabinet for displaying thick coins, here  my Suri Paisas & Mughal Dams are stored with easy access to examine
Wow! That looks amazing. If only my collection were half as organized as this.
To answer the question, some dealers supply coins in little paper envelops made of archival quality acid free paper (maybe there is a specific term for them). You need to take out the coin to view it but the details can be written on the envelope.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 04:29:55 PM »
My question was not about large coins but about thick coins.
Some of the Indian coins I have are more than 10mm thick and they don't just fit into an album.

I used the 25x25 for even thicker medals. Works just fine. Staples only, though. No glue will stop such heavy pieces.

The problems of coin cabinets are 1) notes not attached to coins and 2) wooden cabinets are often unfit for coins, as young wood still contains juices that will ruin coins. I use a plastic cabinet.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 05:33:40 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 04:36:12 PM »
To answer the question, some dealers supply coins in little paper envelops made of archival quality acid free paper (maybe there is a specific term for them). You need to take out the coin to view it but the details can be written on the envelope.

Such envelopes are available in transparent plastic as well. You have to be careful about quality of plastic, though. Example here.

I have kept couple of coins this way (basically because they arrived so), but in general, I avoid using these sleeves.

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 05:15:39 PM »
I use the 25x25 for even ticker medals. Works just fine. Staples only, though. No glue will stop such heavy pieces.

The problems of coin cabinets are 1) notes not attached to coins and 2) wooden cabinets are often unfit for coins, as young wood still contains juices that will ruin coins. I use a plastic cabinet.

Peter

Many of my coins have been in the cabinet over 50 years but nothing has been ruined at all,  the cabinet is actually home made which is a project I started soon after leaving school in 1961, the trays are housed in what began life as a Baird TV cabinet from the 1950's, these large Walnut veneered cabinets with doors actually only had a 9" screen   ;D

I can't see the point of encapsulating coins so they can never be touched or photographed properly, a big part of the enjoyment for me is holding centuries old coins. If I collected modern coins with a mirror finish then things would be different

I also have 20 Lindner stacker trays which house my cabinet overflow  :P
Vic

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 05:36:47 PM »
@ capn: The wood of your cabinet has dried for 60+ years now. It's been perfectly safe for decades. However, if you buy a newly made cabinet today, you may well be in trouble.

Peter

Offline maudry

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 10:20:58 AM »
Great cabinet indeed. :like:
Here is a pile of some of my coins in a 2X2.
Some of these coins do still fit into a Safe drawer, some do not but completely unsuited for an album...

Offline natko

• Split, Croatia
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 05:05:59 PM »
All my princely state coins are in the 5x5cm holders. The thick ones are problematic indeed, but just as you did, I use two measures larger window and they fit in nicely (I use self adhesive and never had problems, as window is larger, but I see the concern) It much easier to staple it than to press firmly for a minute or so around, but they look so ugly to me and I don't know do they even use quality plastic for windows, while I never had any problems with self-sticking ones.

Anyway, these thick pieces do fit inside A4, 20 pocket sheet. Problem is you need to be extremely careful not to rip the plastic on the holder and what to do between the sheets, so I experimented with a soft foam, just cut off A4 size from some wrapping, put it inside that cheap page plastic coat for documents and voila. Regular cardboard separator is too easily rumpled by these thick coins.

Another problem is if you're gonna move them in the sheet with pockets, hey devastate their pocket and normal coins fall out easily afterwards.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Overlord's stamp and coin collection
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 05:38:52 PM »
Such envelopes are available in transparent plastic as well. You have to be careful about quality of plastic, though. Example here.

I have kept couple of coins this way (basically because they arrived so), but in general, I avoid using these sleeves.

Aditya
Non-PVC ones are available:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-2X2-Frame-A-Coin-Submission-Flips-Non-Vinyl-Archival-Double-Pocket-Holder-/221339442517?hash=item3388dbdd55:g:KXwAAOxyRhBS3eew

And here is an example of the paper envelopes I mentioned:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250-2x2-Half-Dollar-Paper-Coin-Envelopes-GUARDHOUSE-Acid-Sulpher-Free-White-/322367424991?hash=item4b0e9889df:g:9HMAAOSw8gVX8sx8

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 05:47:26 PM »
Non-PVC ones are available:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-2X2-Frame-A-Coin-Submission-Flips-Non-Vinyl-Archival-Double-Pocket-Holder-/221339442517?hash=item3388dbdd55:g:KXwAAOxyRhBS3eew

And here is an example of the paper envelopes I mentioned:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250-2x2-Half-Dollar-Paper-Coin-Envelopes-GUARDHOUSE-Acid-Sulpher-Free-White-/322367424991?hash=item4b0e9889df:g:9HMAAOSw8gVX8sx8

We should be very careful while buying this kind of stuff. Although the seller may have claimed that it's Non-PVC, there is no way that you can prove that it is actually Non-PVC. Always buy from a reputed buyer/of a reputed brand. I have had a very bad experience of coin holders which were bought from a well known Indian dealer (claimed to be Non-PVC), but my coins started showing an ugly color after a couple of months. :'( I stopped buying from Indian dealers after that.

Even the paper envelopes need not be always chemical free. Try putting some cheap, common coins in newly bought plastic/paper envelopes for a few days before putting expensive coins in them, just to check if they are of good quality.

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline natko

• Split, Croatia
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 07:55:03 PM »
And even the renowned companies. Like Leuchtturm, which is, in my opinion, the highest quality on the market. Much finer than clumsy Hartberger, which I bought big (and 15mm) holders from.

They seem to fix it now, but their Optima system, with pockets, seem to have non PVC pockets and PVC sheets where pockets are laid, which results in light green patina on most exposed part of silver coins after 4-5 years.