Author Topic: GG-based web site  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
GG-based web site
« on: May 29, 2017, 01:52:46 PM »
Another really nice Bahmani coin. Very interesting.

Is there a reference catalogue of these coins? Or do you identify them with Zeno?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: GG-based web site
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 03:06:45 PM »
the reference is Goron & Goenka Sultanates book, this is out of print and unlikely ever to be reprinted and as such second hand prices are extortianate, one recently on amazon was several thousand dollars!
Vic

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 12:27:35 PM »
Time for a web site based on the book and with latest insights ...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 01:13:41 PM »
Time for a web site based on the book and with latest insights ...

Peter

It's called WoC  Sultanates index  ;D
Vic

Offline leandro87

Book gossip
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 01:30:11 AM »
Hi! Anyone knows if Coins of the Indian Sultanates (Goron and Goenka) is available in some place? (at least cheaper than the 500usd of amazon  ::))

Maybe a new edition is going to see the light some day?

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Re: Book gossip
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 05:48:23 AM »
If you are in the US, you may want to check with our member coincoin.com.

Offline leandro87

Re: Book gossip
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 10:08:42 AM »
Thank you Overlord. I really don't get why authors resists to reprint their works. They may joy on seeing his books reach unpayable prices? They think their work is more valuable that way?

Nowadays there's a strong turning on open knowledge, even regular collectors are publishing or discussing theories, but it seems that archeology and numismatics stays with the old feudal times. Anyone would pay good sum for a book, it's not needed to cast it free, but it should be available to the ones who need it

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 10:58:57 AM »
The problem lies not with the author, but the economics of book publishing. These books rarely sell in volumes that justify reprinting. With the rising manufacturing costs, it is becoming harder and harder to get reasonable margins on print products. The authors, too, don't really get paid that much. Some booksellers may hoard copies to sell at a huge premium once the first print is sold out (but they take a risk that can backfire if the book is not received well). Thankfully, self-publishing/print-on-demand services such as Amazon Createspace (which Fishman used for his excellent Western Kshatrapa catalogs) are becoming increasingly easy to use and ensure that the titles remain in print.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 12:46:35 PM »
I second Overlord's reasoning, but want to add that in my personal experience, the problem is also with the author. A second edition is a dilemma. Should the first edition be 1) left as is, 2) corrected or 3) corrected and expanded. Everyone, including the publishers, will be clamouring for 3 and the author will have the material to do it. However, procrastination, sometimes combine with age, will act against 3 and favour 1. Goron has already ruled out a new edition, probably because he thought of it as 3 or the publisher doesn't like 1.

The obvious solution is to make the book web based. That way, corrections and new discoveries can be inserted immediately. Capnbirdseye is quite right that the WoC Sultanates index is a great, low threshold alternative to GG. Have you tried it? It's too bad that the index is "incomplete", compared to GG. With volunteer power, we can probably fix that. Any volunteers out there?

Peter

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 03:08:24 PM »
Two copies for sale here more reasonably priced at US$450 and US$500

Postage is great too.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 03:23:52 PM »
1 is a reprint. 2 could be a reprint or revised edition, depending on the extent of corrections. 3 is a revised edition.

A revised edition will involve one-time costs (typesetting, editing, image processing/illustrations, etc.) and time from the publisher's perspective, in addition to the manufacturing costs. In a poorly-researched (at least here in India) niche market such as numismatic publishing (of which your book may be targeting a sub-niche), even trying to break even is a gamble. The first printing would need to be high enough to give you profit (on paper), but not so high that you'd lose a lot of money if you don't manage to sell that many copies within a reasonable time. Storage cost could also be a problem. The (relatively) small print run means that the book will have to be priced high in order for you to make profit, and the author will have to be paid a really low royalty (or, in certain cases, a one-time payment). If you sell out your first print within a reasonable period and still perceive enough demand to make a reprint economically viable, only then would you go for it as a publisher. At this point, you can replace a few printing plates to incorporate customer/author corrections, provided you have their feedback at this point. If the demand continues to be strong but sales are beginning to dip because the material needs updating, you'd push the author for a revised edition. If the author refuses, you'd even go with a new author! However, things rarely get this far with numismatics titles. Usually, the publisher will not find it financially viable to even reprint the book.

Here as some alternatives for an author:
- If you are not interested in making money, you could make the book available online for free.
- You could publish the book yourself, bearing the production cost. Not very wise for most people in my opinion as you expose yourself to the same risks as the traditional publisher, without the benefit of their experience, reach, and bargaining power with suppliers.
- You could publish it as a paid eBook, using a service such as KDP. This may demand some financial investment depending on your writing, typesetting, design, and proof-reading skills and is more prone to piracy. Also, as you are publishing in a niche market, you need to find out if the majority of your readers would be open to buying an eBook at all over print! However, this is easily ameliorated by offering a print-on-demand option such as Amazon Createspace. Also, you'll have to market the book yourself (a large network within the niche is very important here). Your royalties will be much, much higher than with traditional publishing (as much as 70% with KDP) and you have complete control over pricing. You can make revisions any time you want, as Figleaf mentioned, and do not have to bear any storage cost. The number of copies you sell will depend on your marketing skills and the quality of your material.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 11:48:56 PM »
As a point of interest how many of you who own the book have found the binding very poor? everyone I know with this book ( inc Stan Goron himself) have mentioned the book does not wear well at all and begins to come apart at the spline
Vic

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 05:49:06 AM »
Stop checking 100 coins a week and it will last longer!  >:D
The binding type (section sewn) is standard for this type of books, at least here in India. The problem is the sheer bulk of the book, and the fact that it is printed on art (coated) paper, which adds considerably to the weight. Unless the book is used really carefully, the binding won't hold that kind of weight with prolonged use. In my view, art paper is wasted on this book as there are no colour images. A-grade uncoated paper would have produced similar results and the book would have been much lighter and cheaper.

I'd rate my copy "about uncirculated".

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 10:24:03 AM »

I'd rate my copy "about uncirculated".

The only part of mine that is 'uncirculated' is the dust cover which I removed from day one to avoid it getting ripped, meanwhile the rest of the book falls apart  :D
 I've performed surgery on my copy which seems to have stabilised it considerably.
Vic

Offline PeaceBD

• Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 05:33:48 PM »
As a point of interest how many of you who own the book have found the binding very poor? everyone I know with this book ( inc Stan Goron himself) have mentioned the book does not wear well at all and begins to come apart at the spline
I had brought a brand new copy 7 years ago which is still holding on pretty well. But again I do not use it every week. From what I have heard there is a new version in works. Our member nnasir might be able to add more.