Author Topic: Muslim 'temple token  (Read 232 times)

Offline Atul ks

Muslim 'temple token
« on: May 29, 2017, 08:18:28 PM »
is this fake or some coin?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 11:09:07 AM by capnbirdseye »

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
Re: what kind a coin is this?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 09:41:22 PM »
It is a Muslim 'temple token' or votive amulet. These come in various metals, commonly white metal or silvered brass.

The normal inscription under the mosque is, I'm told, 'Medina the noble' as on my example below, but yours has a different inscription underneath.

Alan

Offline Atul ks

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 10:21:42 PM »
your token is clear n beautiful. can you elaborate the inscription of this and your coin both.

Offline Atul ks

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 10:23:03 PM »
one more thing, what kind of antiquity is attached with this. any date of its issue??

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
Re: Muslim 'temple token
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 11:19:07 AM »
In the centre of the reverse is the kalima 'Allah is the one god and Mohammed is the prophet of Allah', with the names of the first four Caliphs round.

On mine, as I said, the inscription below the mosque is supposed to be 'Medina the noble'. Yours has a different legend, but I'm afraid I don't actually read Arabic so I can't tell you what it says  :(

As to date, some of this style of token are possibly as early as the late 19th century, but most (including yours and mine) are likely to be 20th century.

Alan

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
Re: Muslim 'temple token
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 01:40:17 PM »
On mine, as I said, the inscription below the mosque is supposed to be 'Medina the noble'. Yours has a different legend,
Sorry, not a fast reply !  ::)
According to Irwin Brotman, it reads : "City of Hit", Hit is a city in Iraq on the Euphrates (100km W of Baghdad), but the word is probably degenerated from the Sharif or Noble, and intended legend was "Medina the Noble.

ref of this coin : Brotman T16

"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)