Larins, Persian and others

Started by asm, August 17, 2009, 11:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Afrasi

Quote from: Rangnath on September 17, 2009, 12:11:55 AMWhat do you think of the three reasons Oesho included that point in the direction away from Bijapur? richie

Sorry for my bad English, but I don't understand, what you mean.  :-[

BC Numismatics

Quote from: Afrasi on September 17, 2009, 12:02:14 AM
I think this one is from Bijapur and should be moved to Indian subcontinent!

Alexander,
  Even if this Larin is a Maldivian one,the topic would still belong in the Indian subcontinent & South Asian section.

Aidan.

Afrasi

I know! It is not from Saudi-Arabia!

Oesho

The inscription on the larin is not of Bijapur type, but more like the Persian (Safavid) type. As only a limited part of the die is visible these larins are hard to be atributed to a particular ruler or place

Austrokiwi

1st an apology I suspect this may be a Larin from Ceylon however I couldn't work out where to post my question and I assume the subject matter experts would be in this part of the Board

I have just added a Fishhook style larin to my collection. Despite trying to use Plant I have had difficulty identifying it. Being Fishhook shaped doesn't help nor the fact that I do not think the script is complete ( The die was probably larger than the area struck).  Here is a photo of the "outside script"  I would greatly appreciate identification and an indication of era.

Thanks all

Austrokiwi

I managed to get a shot of the "inside" script"

Bimat

I can't help you with your question,but we already had some nice discussion on Larins :)

http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,3907.0.html

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Austrokiwi

Thanks Numismatica: Perhaps some kind moderater can relocate my question to that thread.

Austrokiwi

I managed to work out the inside text ( second Picture)   "Allah & Ali"  So it is clear this Larin was produced in a Shia  State/City.   

Oesho

Quote from: Rangnath on September 17, 2009, 12:11:55 AM
Thanks Afrasi.
You may well be correct.  Until someone offers a definitive attribtuion, with all due respect, I'll continue to post this subject here. 
What do you think of the three reasons Oesho included that point in the direction away from Bijapur?
richie
I hardly ever look at these pages, but now found this larin coin. The present larin is not of Bijapur, but probably of Parsia as it has the Kalima on one side (a feature not found on the Bijapur larins).