Author Topic: Reich - Fortuna in der Welt  (Read 302 times)

Offline redwine

• liaison officer
  • Honorary Member
  • Too old to care.
Reich - Fortuna in der Welt
« on: May 19, 2017, 04:54:30 PM »
FORTUNA IN DER WELT. BRINGT NAHRUNG BROD UN GELD. FORTUNA IN / DER KAMER. / BRINGT GROSE / NOT.U:IAMER. / DANTES
71.KLEIN BROD.72.GROS NOTH: HOFNUN FREY?T? SICH IN GOTT. (anchor & scales 12. P.F.) / IC.REICH FURTH.D.I.F: / .1772.

Mes loisirs, amusemens numismatiques (1836) p586 No.678 is close.  8)
IC.REICH = Iohann Christian Reich
4.23g
24.35mm
Medal aligned
I think brass.

I've read elsewhere that Dantes referred to a series of gameplay money.  I may have mistranslated that ::)
It could do with a clean but I'd rather not given the mess I've made recently. :-[
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
Re: Reich - Fortuna in der Welt
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 06:32:26 PM »
FORTUNA IN DER WELT. BRINGT NAHRUNG BROD UN GELD. FORTUNA IN / DER KAMER. / BRINGT GROSE / NOT.U:IAMER. / DANTES
71.KLEIN BROD.72.GROS NOTH: HOFNUN FREY?T? SICH IN GOTT. (anchor & scales 12. P.F.) / IC.REICH FURTH.D.I.F: / .1772.

Fortuna/Luck in the world brings nutrition, bread and money, Fortuna/luck in the small room/cell brings great distress and sorrow. Dantes (Regarding Dante Alighieri's "Inferno"?)

(17)71 small bread, (17)72 great distress.

Probably regarding the large Hamburg flood of 1771 devastating the Mouth of the river Elbe from the Noth Sea to the harbours of Hamburg (See the anchor!!!), which led to a famine the next year.

Offline redwine

• liaison officer
  • Honorary Member
  • Too old to care.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 06:56:26 PM »
Many thanks for that insight  8)
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 12:22:11 AM »
I think the medal was issued as a souvenir of the famine of 1771 and 1772. IIRC, this was caused by a combination of the aftermath of the seven-years war (in particular in Saxony, less so in Prussia and Austria, where potatoes had become a viable substitute for grain), a major eruption of Mount Vesuvius blocking the sunlight for months and rainstorms.

I presume Fortuna is used here as money or wealth, so the legend becomes something like "money that circulates brings wealth, money locked up is bad", a plea to let bottled up money roll. This exhortation would in fact refer to farmers not having the money to re-plant their fields and needing credit. The anchor would be a symbol of hope. I have seen similar medals on this famine, some with prices of bread.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.