Author Topic: Mohammad Shah. Contemporary imitation or counterfeit of Shahjahanabad Rupee.  (Read 484 times)

Offline jaspersaini

Mohammad Shah Shahjahanabad Rupee

11.17 G.  21 mm

Thanks !
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 03:57:43 PM by jaspersaini »

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Mohammad Shah Ahmadabad Rupee? I need help !
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 05:03:35 AM »
There is something about the engraving of this coin that I do not like..................

The legend is the 'Shahib Qirani' legend which was used only in a handful of mints and Ahmedabad was not one of them.

While the first letter of the mint name on the flan does look like Ahm......... the end is more like Jahan (and the part of the letter on top suggesting the balance 'bad' is at the top) So more likely Shahjahanabad.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline jaspersaini

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 02:56:15 AM »
I can see the double engraving on the upper part of the coin. Is that common in such coins?

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 09:21:56 PM »
The coin is double struck throughout that side. Don't know how common it is, but it is not strange. In one scenario, the strike is too forceful. It reverberates through the anvil, lifting the hammer and landing it on the upper die a second time.

However, in view of the distance between the strikes, I am thinking of a different scenario: there was some kind of a flaw on one side. To save the time and energy for re-melting it, the struck coin was carefully placed back on the anvil, slotting it exactly in the right place, the upper die was placed as well as possible and WHAM! Except that by the time the hammer landed, the upper die had shifted a fraction.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Re: Mohammad Shah Shahjahanabad Rupee
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 01:31:30 PM »
IMHO it is just a contemporary imitation or counterfeit.