Author Topic: Russia: Catherine the Great, 5 Kopeks, 1779EM, KM#59.3  (Read 240 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Overlord's stamp and coin collection
Russia: Catherine the Great, 5 Kopeks, 1779EM, KM#59.3
« on: May 14, 2017, 07:52:36 AM »
Weight=45.6 g, diameter=41 mm; oblique milling

Obverse: Crowned monogram dividing date between wreaths

Reverse: Crowned double-headed eagle, initials below

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Russia: Catherine the Great, 5 Kopeks, 1779EM, KM#59.3
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 05:50:51 PM »
Nicely preserved specimen. Due to its size, these coins often have dings, dangs, bangs and scratches. You have the rare polonium blue (Putinius Litwinenkus Mortibus) variety :)

The monogram is I(mperatrix) E(katherina) II. The text on the ribbon on the other side is ПЯТЬ ∙ КОПѢЕКЪ (pyat kopeek in old spelling - five kopeks). EM stands for Mонетный двор Екатеринбург (Ekaterinenburg Mint.)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 05:46:43 AM »
Thank you for the details. I didn't get the "polonium blue" bit. If it has implications of a radioactive nature, it is probably already too late for me! :D
I read somewhere that these coins were counterfeited by the Swedish in large numbers. Is there a way one can distinguish Swedish copies from the originals?
I was also surprised at how inexpensive these were in relation to their awesomeness. I had lost out on a less nice coin at an Indian auction a while back, but two coins from the Russian seller on eBay together cost me less than 60% of the starting bid for the coin at the Indian auction (with free shipping)!

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 07:58:14 AM »
The five kopeks enjoy great popularity among collectors because of their weight. They are expensive in Russia also (saw a very nice one for over $100 in Tverskaya street last time I was there. The lesser denominations are much cheaper. Just passed on buying a denga of the 1730's priced at 15 in Riga.

Unless your last name is Litvinenko, you have nothing to fear from blue coins, but if you don't see your above coin as blue, either you need to re-calibrate your computer screen or you may want to start saving for a new screen.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 08:14:14 AM »
The five kopeks enjoy great popularity among collectors because of their weight. They are expensive in Russia also (saw a very nice one for over $100 in Tverskaya street last time I was there.
So, is there a possibility that mine could be a fake? I paid only USD17.50 for it (14.50 for the other one).  :-\

Both coins are dark brown in hand. The light makes this one look bluish-black in the photo.

Offline milkshakespeare

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 08:26:41 PM »
So, is there a possibility that mine could be a fake? I paid only USD17.50 for it (14.50 for the other one).  :-\

Both coins are dark brown in hand. The light makes this one look bluish-black in the photo.

Your coin is not a fake. The Swedish fakes are well known and easily told apart from the real coins! The five kopeck coins are the most common of the copper coins of this period.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 04:54:14 AM »
Your coin is not a fake. The Swedish fakes are well known and easily told apart from the real coins! The five kopeck coins are the most common of the copper coins of this period.
Thank you.