login

Author Topic: France, medal of the Association des Anciens Élèves 1908  (Read 185 times)

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Meritorious Member
  • Varus - may i show you our forest?
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Hello,

found this one and try to find out more background info:

France, price(?) medal of the Association des Anciens Élèves for Auguste Houriez / Dr. J. Cordier(?), Auberchicourt, graveur: Daniel Dupuis and Henri Dubois, Paris mint, 1908 AD.,
Medal (41 mm / 39,37 g), bronze, axes medal alignment ↑↑ (0°), plain edge with inscription (cornucopia) BRONZE ,
Obv.: REPUBLIQUE - FRANÇAISE / DANIEL DUPUIS , head of "Marianne" with wreath by Daniel Dupuis - tête de la République aux cheveux longs à droite, au dessous à droite Daniel Dupuis.
Rev.: EXCELLENCE / ANCIENS ELEVES / A / HOURIEZ AUGUSTE / Dr. J. CORDIER / AUBERCHICOURT / 1908 // H DUBOIS , seven lines between an oak and an olive branch forming a wreath, engraver´s name below.

What i found online so far:

Auberchicourt is a commune in the Nord department in northern France. An alumni association (association d'anciens) is an association of graduates or, more broadly, of former students (alumni). In the United Kingdom and the United States, alumni of universities, colleges, schools (especially independent schools), fraternities, and sororities often form groups with alumni from the same organization. These associations often organize social events, publish newsletters or magazines, and raise funds for the organization. Many provide a variety of benefits and services that help alumni maintain connections to their educational institution and fellow graduates.
Auberchicourt est une commune française située dans le département du Nord, en région Hauts-de-France. La Compagnie des mines d'Aniche y a ouvert sans succès ses Avaleresses Aglaé et La Paix, puis ses fosses Espérance et Sainte Marie. Une association d'anciens élèves est une association dont les membres ont tous été élèves d'un même établissement d'enseignement (scolaire ou supérieur).
More on https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auberchicourt

From htt p://gilles.quemener.free.fr/actes/acte_naiss.php?xid=41525&xct=6225 :
Acte de naissance/baptême
Commune : Mercatel
Département / Province : Pas-de-Calais
Nouveau-né :
Nom de l'enfant : HOURIEZ Louis Joseph Grégoire
Date de l'acte : 18/11/1867
Parents :
Nom du père : HOURIEZ Auguste
Profession : journalier
Nom de la mère : SERGEANT Brigitte

Acte de naissance/baptême
Commune : Mercatel
Département / Province : Pas-de-Calais
Nouveau-né :
Nom de l'enfant : HOURIEZ Augustin Joseph
Date de l'acte : 02/01/1881
Parents :
Nom du père : HOURIEZ Augustin
Profession : cordonnier
Nom de la mère : CRÉPIEUX ZélieÉ

From htt p://tableaudhonneur.free.fr/JMO-3-73eRI_01-01-17_23-10-19.pdf :
État des pertes survenues dans le secteur de Laversine (Aisne) du 10 au 13 juin 1918 inclus.
HOURIEZ Auguste, Caporal, Disparus: 1, Cie: 3 CM, Date: 12 juin 1918

Maybe someone can correct wrong assumptions or add some data.

Regards
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:33:51 PM by Arminius »

Offline Paris

• liaison officer
    • French-speaking coin forum
Re: France, medal of the Association des Anciens Élèves 1908
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 06:10:27 PM »
Hi,

As a French, I even do not understand what the reverse means. There should be an article ("Les", "leurs"...) before "anciens élèves", and a single medal would have been given to two different men who don't seem to be part of the same family? "The medal will stay one week on my bedroom, one week in yours"?

Furthermore, Cordier is called "docteur", which, in France before a family name, has a medical meaning (not like in German). And some people have been students of a docteur in Auberchicourt ? I would be very surprised that medicine has been taught in Auberchicourt, a big village made with cows and pigs (I come from North of France).
And Houriez Auguste is before the doctor? But nothing on internet about a famous Auguste Houriez, more important in Auberchicourt than the doctor...

About the Auguste Houriez you found : the first is a "journalier," which means a worker going from farms to farms depending on seasons, and paid daily. Usually not the kind of man receiving an "excellence medal"... The second is a cordonnier, a "Schumacher". I can not imagine why he would have received a common medal with a doctor from his former students.

There are many people called Houriez, and some of them are still living in Auberchicourt. Cordier is very common (and many docteur Cordier are still working !). I searched by myself about the persons on your medal, but found nothing.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: France, medal of the Association des Anciens Élèves 1908
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 06:55:12 PM »
If Augustin Houriez is indeed the same as Auguste Houriez, he was 27 years old in 1908. In a farming and mining town, that means you are no longer in school. Two options: there was a school reunion years later, or it's not the same person.

The piece is a generic Daniel-Dupuis medal. The reverse is engraved after striking. A text that is not grammatically 100% correct is unsurprising in a small, rural commune. Also, the order of the words may have been changed to accommodate the roundness of the medal. Note that no words are broken off and only first names are abbreviated, which was considered normal. "Dr" may not be docteur, but directeur, the head master of the school, so that the text could be interpreted as something like "(For) excellence (among the) former pupils, (this medal was presented) to Auguste Houriez (by) the head master J. Cordier (of the school) in Auberchicourt.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.