login

Author Topic: 1909VDB cent  (Read 184 times)

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Overlord's stamp and coin collection
1909VDB cent
« on: May 10, 2017, 06:21:51 AM »
https://www.pcgs.com/News/The-Controversial-1909-Vdb-Lincoln-Cent

Found in a wheat cent roll yesterday.

Obverse:

Reverse:

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: 1909VDB cent
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 07:43:59 AM »
Great fun find, Overlord. The initials are loud and clear. Amazing that you got yourself a roll of US cents, though. Starting a new branch of your collection?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Overlord's stamp and coin collection
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 08:21:09 AM »
Great fun find, Overlord. The initials are loud and clear. Amazing that you got yourself a roll of US cents, though. Starting a new branch of your collection?
Peter
Not really. These are the circulated Wheat cent rolls that sell in the 4-8 USD range on eBay, not the ones you get from the bank at face value. I got a few as they were (still) inexpensive and a lot of fun to open and go through (plus they give me an excuse to play with my underused Carson magnifiers and the Red Book). In addition to this one, I found a few older "Indian Head" cents, a couple of mercury dimes, and a rather odd 1957 wheat cent that had me stumped for a while before I realized it had been silver-plated by someone.

Offline bgriff99

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 10:20:42 AM »
Somebody messed up, realized it later and was kicking themself.    I found ONE of those in circulation, lifetime, and used to go through bags of bank rolls.   The one I found was in a roll, of mostly wheat cents because it was still 1959 or 1960.

What did happen sometimes was one or more bank rolls would still have somebody's name on them, and they obviously were depositing a stash of cents long left dormant, or better, were somebody's coin collection.