login

Author Topic: Timurides, Sultan Mahmud Khan, Silver Tanka, Wastan mint (790-800 AH)  (Read 338 times)

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Timurides, Sultan Mahmud Khan, Silver Tanka, Wastan mint  (790-800 AH)(1388-1398 AD)
Weight 6.23 gm
Diameter 24-28 mm
Metal Silver
Obverse:  سلطان محمود خان امير تيمور كوركان خلد الله ملکه , Sultan Mahmud Khan Amir Timur Gurkan Khalad Allah Molkahou (may God prosper his reign). Date and Mint place are not visible.
Reverse: " لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله ", La Illah l’Allah Muhammad Rasul Allah, Kalima in cartouche and the names of 4 orthodox caliphs around within the cartouche.
This coin is similar to my coin posted on March 19, 2017 http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,38480.msg243153.html#msg243153
Please help with this coin, both date and mint are not visible.

Maythem

« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 07:29:54 PM by aws22 »
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Hi Maythem,

See that no one dared to give a mint attribution. If you did not find the answer yet i might give a suggestion.
Having the name not on flan i usually go for the shape of the cartouches, and then the arrangement of the text.
Using this approach (and the weight of a Tanka) leads to a Type 4 design, for which the mint is given as Wastan.
An example here on Zeno.

Anthony

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Thank you Anthony for your great help, Wastan mint is the answer.

Maythem

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Dear Anthony, please let me know where " Wastan وسطان " mint place is?
Thank you

Maythem

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
I am not fully sure as i have not found a clear indication for the Timurid coinage. But if it is the same mint that was used by the Ilkhanids i believe this is Wastan in Eastern Anatolia, near lake Van. I think that is near Bitlis where your other coin originated.

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Thank you Anthony.

Maythem

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Dear Anthony, searching for the town Wastan وسطان  , I found it is written in many ways, Westan, Ostan, Vostan, Gevash. It seems that "Vostan" is the modern name for it and it is a town in the Ararat Province of Armenia, or Gevaş (Armenian: Ոստան, Vostan, meaning "[princely] court"; Kurdish: Westan‎) is a district of Van Province of Turkey. I hope that this information is correct.

Maythem

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:04:18 PM by aws22 »