News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Charles & Diana Royal Wedding 1981

Started by mrbadexample, May 09, 2017, 03:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbadexample

Afternoon all.  :)

I was wondering if anyone can tell me more about this please? It's not normally the sort of thing I'd buy, but it was 10p and I'd not seen anything like it before. Obviously a piece commemorating the wedding of Charles and Diana, but in aluminium. ΓΈ15mm, weight 0.6g.

Thanks,
MBE

Figleaf

No answers, but the piece is particularly uninformative. It has no indication on who made it or why it was made. Of course it commemorates a wedding, but why make it in aluminium if it was just a medal to be sold as a souvenir? It looks like it had an ulterior motive. The only clue we have is 15 mm, so the challenge is to find another aluminium piece of 15 mm in the same style.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

mrbadexample

Weird, isn't it? Such a tiny piece for a commemorative.

Figleaf

I am thinking more of children's jewellery. A delightful plastic chain with a gorgeous "silver" coin dangling from it. Just like mummy.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

mrbadexample

Figleaf

Fixed in a ring with rhinestones?

Peter

mrbadexample

Quote from: Figleaf on May 11, 2017, 10:23:26 AM
Fixed in a ring with rhinestones?

Peter

That's a bit speculative.  ;D

It has a fair amount of wear too, so it's obviously been handled quite a bit. My best guess would be play / toy money of some sort.