Author Topic: Round pound: alloy  (Read 589 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Round pound: alloy
« on: May 09, 2017, 08:52:39 PM »
It's probably just because it's new, but the brass part of the new 12-sided pound appears to be of a much more attractive colour than I've ever seen on a round pound. Even among round pounds, though, the brass has seemed to be in different shades in different years. Does anybody have a list of the alloy variations used for the round pound? It must be a shorter list than the list of round pound designs.

One thing I've noticed about the 1985 round pound (Welsh design with leek) is that is always poorly struck, so examples always look worn.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

Offline Alan71

• Honorary Member
  • Derby, UK
Re: Round pound: alloy
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 09:45:59 PM »
I don't know about the make-up of the nickel-brass, all I know is that the entire coin is nickel-brass, but the centre has been nickel-plated.  It's still two pieces of metal but unlike the £2 coin, it doesn't contain any cupro-nickel.  The centre therefore will look brighter - perhaps that's creating the illusion that the nickel-brass is different?

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Round pound: alloy
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 11:37:31 PM »
perhaps that's creating the illusion that the nickel-brass is different?

It's a possibility. Certainly the round pound has a greenish tinge to my eye sometimes, which is not pleasant. I'm sure I've read before that the round pound alloy came in different mixtures (percentages) of the core metals.
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.