Discussion: Has Noida Mint release any Proof/UNC sets

Started by Naveen, April 24, 2017, 11:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naveen

Has Noida Mint ever released any UNC/Proof sets, if not is there any specific reason.

dheer

No Noida mint has not released any proof / UNC sets.

Noida mint doesn't do engraving for Indian coins [i.e. Plaster art / Mother Hub / Master Dies / etc]. This is currently only done at Mumbai and Kolkata mint. Thus these are the mints that release the Proof / UNC sets.

In last few years, it was seen that there was a market for Single coin UNC sets. All mints are now run as independent corporations and profitability measured like other corporates. As Hyderabad mint had spare capacity and was looking to make some money, they have started the UNC sets.

Nodia mint in past used to mint coins for other countries and hence was already profitable. However of late the internal demand means that there is less spare capacity to mint for other countries.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Naveen

kansal888

Quote from: dheer on April 24, 2017, 12:26:02 PM
No Noida mint has not released any proof / UNC sets.

Nodia mint in past used to mint coins for other countries and hence was already profitable. However of late the internal demand means that there is less spare capacity to mint for other countries.

Dear Dheer

I tend to disagree with your simplistic assumption linking profitability and minting of coins for other countries.  In past, Noida mint  executed orders for some foreign countries. However these order were too small  to have any impact. Noida mint is largest mint of India producing almost 40% of our coins. As of now it is dedicated to production of circulating coins. All the presses are high speed coinage presses used for circulation coins. It does not have the machine to make unc or proof coins. I will not be surprised if in near future they also start producing unc or proof sets.

Regards

Sanjay Kansal

dheer

Thanks Sanjayji,

I guess Noida mint has the best / latest equipment amongst the 4 mints. I guess there was a plan for Major upgrade to Kolkata mint few years back. Not sure whether it happened or not.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies