Author Topic: Comments on "Norway under Nazi occupation"  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
Re: Comments on "Norway under Nazi occupation"
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2017, 02:23:11 PM »
It is a book for children 9-12 and might not hold any interest for adults.
There was a book program offered to students, I think it was Scholastic Books Incorporated or something or other.
We got an order form in class, placed an order and wow! Six to Nine weeks later you got your book!  :)
Would have been mid 1960's

Dale

author Marie McSwigan

That sounds fun,I definetly have to try to get hold of a copy.
<Do you know when it was written ?

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2017, 05:45:16 PM »
The posters are designed by Harald Damsleth ( 1906- 71 ). Damsleth was a sought after advertiser before the war.in 1933 he visited the US, where he a.o. delivered samples of his work to Disney. In 1939 <Disney actually wanted to employ him, but he decided to stay in Norway due to his family.
Unfortunately Damsleth was a member of Quislings Nazi- party. Between 1940- 45 he designed propaganda for the new regime and created most of the Norwegian wartime- stamps- After the liberation he was sentinced to forced labour, but set free in 1952. His career , of course, was finished, he continued as a drawer of book- covers , but was not permitted to sign his works.

Thanks, Mycoins - I've just noticed your comments to me - can't understand how I missed them earlier.  :-[  Apparently this man did the stamps too. He certainly had some talent - he used it in the wrong cause, though. I supposed it was difficult to avoid some level of collaboration, if you wanted to earn a living.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 05:47:06 PM »
The more angular lion first used on the wartime- coinage was originally designed in 1937, as the pre  WWI- design of 1905 was regarded as outdated. Though critics called the slimmer looking lion " the starved kitten "

1937? I can't find any coins of that date. "Starved kitten", indeed. So sarcasm is alive and well in Norway, too.  :)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 06:15:45 PM »
Here is one of Harald Damsleth's most inventive and astonishing propaganda posters, against the supposed decadence of the USA. The irony is that the Ku Klux Klan and the Nazis are both violent and extreme racists.