Author Topic: Comments on "Norway under Nazi occupation"  (Read 1804 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Comments on "Norway under Nazi occupation"
« on: April 21, 2017, 03:50:17 PM »
Parent topic: Norway under Nazi occupation.

Please post comments on the parent topic here.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Comments on "Norway under Nazi occupation"
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 08:49:03 PM »

Though no 1 krone coin was issued under the occupation, there exists a sketch of a proposed 1 krone replacement coin. Ragnvald StÝren was the artist responsible for the design. I am grateful to forum member Mycoins for this information and for providing a scan of the sketch.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 01:45:07 AM »

Look at the lion on this 50 Ýre coin. The design was issued until 1923.

Now look at the lion on the coins of the Nazi occupation regime. He's much more angular.

Conclusion - the war time lion significantly influenced the post-war lion. Had the occupation never happened, the post-war lion would have looked rather different.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 01:53:26 AM »
More propaganda posters. But why do they look more like holiday advertisements?

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 03:20:12 AM »
I remember a kid's story book when I was much younger (probably 50 years ago) about a bunch of kids that went sledding a lot during school out during occupation by Germany. I absolutely loved the book, most likely fiction. They were recruited to remove the country's gold and transport from the top of a hill to the bottom where it was loaded on a ship. All under the watchful eye of German guards and patrolmen. Seems like it was Norway but could have been any Scandinavian country that was occupied. I don't recall for sure now.

That book and other experiences caused that time to remain in my thoughts all my life even though I never experienced the horrors. I likely have read more on that time period than any other.

Every time I have had a batch of coins to explore I am pleased when I am able to add a coin from that time period.

Thanks for the images.

Dale

« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 04:13:07 AM by Prosit »

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 03:30:39 AM »
OMG!
I found the book:

Based on a true story, this is a tale of brave school children who outwit the invading Nazis by sledding 13 tons of gold bricks down the mountain in Norway to a ship waiting to take the country's gold to America for safekeeping. Illustrations., In the bleak winter of 194?0, Nazi troops parachuted into Peter Lindstrom's tiny Norwegian village and held it captive. Nobody thought the Nazis could be defeated-until Uncle Victor told Peter how the children could fool the enemy. It was a dangerous plan. They had to slip past Nazi guards with nine million dollars in gold hidden on their sleds. It meant risking their country's treasure-and their lives. This classic story of how a group of children outwitted the Nazis and sent the treasure to America has captivated generations of readers

Dale

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 03:47:38 AM »
Excellent! It was only in researching the topic that I found out about the gold. I always learn something I wasn't expecting to, when I'm doing these topics.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 04:20:10 AM »
The Solider on the book almost exactly mirrors the image in reply #4. I like that style of artistic illustration, always have. Maybe it has something to do with me being an old fart and familiar with it from a young age :).

Dale

Offline quaziright

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 01:55:03 PM »
I enjoyed thus read a lot. Even though Quisling in end was executed for the crimes he committed, he seems to have been quite a complex person. I suppose the most charitable will say atleast he had a modicum of selective conscience; he seemed to be the least terrible of the fascists you've covered so far

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 02:10:19 PM »
Certainly he was a complex person, and you wouldn't have expected the person of the 1920s to become a leading fascist in the 1940s. The 1930s showed that he had no political acumen, and he would never have got into power without the Nazis. He always considered himself to be a practising Christian, and he even protested to Hitler about Kristallnacht in 1938. However, he allowed himself to be dragged further into the morass of collaboration in the 1940s and participated in discriminating against his Jewish citizens. He certainly deserved his execution.

It is difficult to understand how the humanitarian of the 1920s became the pro-Nazi of the 1930s and 1940s. Perhaps his work in deciding the fate of so many people in the 1920s gave him a messiah complex. But we'll never really know.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 02:23:40 PM by <k> »

Offline Mycoins

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 07:47:02 AM »
More propaganda posters. But why do they look more like holiday advertisements?
The posters are designed by Harald Damsleth ( 1906- 71 ). Damsleth was a sought after advertiser before the war.in 1933 he visited the US, where he a.o. delivered samples of his work to Disney. In 1939 <Disney actually wanted to employ him, but he decided to stay in Norway due to his family.
Unfortunately Damsleth was a member of Quislings Nazi- party. Between 1940- 45 he designed propaganda for the new regime and created most of the Norwegian wartime- stamps- After the liberation he was sentinced to forced labour, but set free in 1952. His career , of course, was finished, he continued as a drawer of book- covers , but was not permitted to sign his works.

Offline Mycoins

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 07:56:15 AM »

Look at the lion on this 50 Ýre coin. The design was issued until 1923.

Now look at the lion on the coins of the Nazi occupation regime. He's much more angular.

Conclusion - the war time lion significantly influenced the post-war lion. Had the occupation never happened, the post-war lion would have looked rather different.
The more angular lion first used on the wartime- coinage was originally designed in 1937, as the pre  WWI- design of 1905 was regarded as outdated. Though critics called the slimmer looking lion " the starved kitten "

Offline Mycoins

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 08:07:25 AM »
OMG!
I found the book:

Based on a true story, this is a tale of brave school children who outwit the invading Nazis by sledding 13 tons of gold bricks down the mountain in Norway to a ship waiting to take the country's gold to America for safekeeping. Illustrations., In the bleak winter of 194?0, Nazi troops parachuted into Peter Lindstrom's tiny Norwegian village and held it captive. Nobody thought the Nazis could be defeated-until Uncle Victor told Peter how the children could fool the enemy. It was a dangerous plan. They had to slip past Nazi guards with nine million dollars in gold hidden on their sleds. It meant risking their country's treasure-and their lives. This classic story of how a group of children outwitted the Nazis and sent the treasure to America has captivated generations of readers

Dale
That sounds fun,I definetly have to try to get hold of a copy.
<Do you know when it was written ? I wonder of the auth might have known of the Norwegian gold action of 1940, when as German troops marched into Oslo the bank of Norwat saved the goldreserve virtually under the nose of Hitler, when several tons of goldcoins and ingots where evacuated north by lorries. The gold was taken to the city of Molde by the coast, brought further north and finally shipped to England by RN vessels, and later to the US.
In 1986 the coins where brough back to Norway with the help of Spinks in London.
This story is most popular among Norwegian collectors, definitely a story worth a novel or a movie.
Here is one of the coins:

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 11:06:52 AM »
It's not just the lion. The ax is different also. For a change, the nazis got it right with the longer handle.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 11:25:04 AM »
It's true - but a Nazi-influenced lion? The Norwegians shouldn't have kept it. They should have returned to the more cuddly pre-war lion.