Author Topic: Artuqids of Mardin: Najm al-Din Alpi. (547-572 AH) Dirham (Album 1827.2)  (Read 381 times)

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Artuqids of Mardin: Najm al-Din Alpi. (547-572 AH) Dirham (Whelan Type I, 37-8; S&S Type 27; Album 1827.2; ICV 1200)

Obv: Diademed male head right, ﻧﺠﻢ ﺍﻟﺪﻳﻦ (Najm al-Dn; Arabic Laqab meaning 'Star of Religion') in Naskh script engraved into the die horizontally across the neck of the figure; counter-marked legend ﻧﺠﻢ ﺍﻟﺪﻳﻦ ﻣﻠﻚ ﺩﻳﺎﺭ ﺑﮑﺮ (Najm al-Dn, King of Diyarbakr); dotted border
Rev: Multi-line legend in a modified Ayyubid Kufic script continuing to right, top and left all within irregular circle with arabesque in exergue; dotted border

1st Line: ﻣﻠﻚ ﺍﻻﻣﺮﺍ (Malik al-umar; King of the Princes)
2nd Line: ﺍﺑﻮ ﺍﻟﻤﻈﻔﺮ (Abu al-Muzaffar; Man of Conquering)
3rd Line: ﺍﻟﭙﻰ ﺑﻦ (Alp bin; Alpi, Son of)
Right Field: ﺗﻤﺮﺗﺎﺵ ﺑﻦ (Timurtsh bin; Timurtash, Son of)
Upper Field: ﺍﻳﻞﻏﺎﺫﯼ (l-Ghz; Il-Ghazi)
Left Field: ﺑﻦ ﺍﺭﺗﻖ (bin Artuq; Son of Artuq)

A high-resolution image of this coin is available at FORVM Ancient Coins

A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Nice bold bronze !
With the text in the neck one might think the portrait is a personification of the ruler. That makes is odd that the countermark seems to be placed to deface the portrait with the name of the king. Do you have any thoughts on this ?

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Hi Anthony,

There are two things to note about this coin that should help answer your question:

1) The portrait is actually a copy of a Seleucid coin and hence does not relate to the ruler.  Therefore, defacing the coin would not have been a issue.

2) Diyarbakr must have fell at the time of Najm as it was separate from Mardin and hence to quickly issue new coins, they used the same die and added the C/M.  At least, that is the consensus...

Regards,

Ram
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Ram, thanks for the reply !
I will have to read into these a bit more..

Anthony