Author Topic: Ghaznavid, Masud I, 1031-41AD, a billon Jital  (Read 248 times)

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Ghaznavid, Masud I, 1031-41AD, a billon Jital
« on: April 16, 2017, 11:31:55 AM »
Browsing through the index i saw there still was no entry for Ghaznavid ruler Masud I (1031-41AD). He was the successor of Yamin-al Dawla Mahmud.
During the initial decades of the Ghaznavid dynasty rule, the traditional bull and horseman jitals of the region were continued. Later on the style would change, the horseman's side would be replaced by Arab text.
The Jital below stems from the transitional period between these two jital styles. At first sight there is not much special about this one. It is the small wiggle above the head of the horse that makes the difference. As this is the name "Masud" in Arab. With this, Masud would be the first ruler to make a lasting Ghaznavid impression on the bull and horseman jitals.

AR 18 mm, 3.26 gr. Tye#89, G&G GZ10
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 11:55:19 AM by capnbirdseye »

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
Re: Ghaznavid, Masud I, 1031-41AD, a billon Jital
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 03:09:01 PM »
nice coin,is the peculiar face on the horseman some kind of armour?
Vic

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Overlord's stamp and coin collection
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 03:36:23 PM »
Nice coin. The horseman's face reminds me of a plague doctor's mask.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 04:28:49 PM »
The face of the horserider on this one indeed seems to be wearing a nose shield like on medieval helmets. In this case i think the more boring explanation is the mostl likely. The design of the face degenerated over several generations of diemakers to become more and more abstract over time.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 09:46:54 AM »
Reminds me of a Persian nasal helmet. The picture below is a Mamluk helmet, but I couldn't find a better illustration on the net. What I have in mind does not have a neck plate, but rather a neck flap and/or cheek protection, made of chain mail. Note the movable nose guard, secured with a screw. Second picture taken in the museum of local lore in Samarqand.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 09:46:19 PM »
In the opening post is showed a probably later specimen of the bull and horseman Jital with the name of Masud clearly in front of the face of the horseman. The coin below is another specimen of this type, though the name of the ruler is not so clear on this one. I added it for another reason. The backcloth (Jhul) of bull in the openingpost coin was empty. However, there are also subtypes which are known to show different symbols and Arab words in the Jhul.

The coin below at first was not easy to match with the linedrawings in Tye's Jitals. However, Dyell describes one of the subtypes as having "Arba" (four) in the jhul. And I think that is just what this is, spelled as أربعان (Arba'an) in this case. The numbers on the backcloth may be related to the year of rule of Masud, but we actually do not know their precise meaning.
The second photo shows an enlargement. One has to admire the skills of the die maker. The width of the entire word is less than 4 mm.

(Tye#89.1, 17 mm, 3.33 gr)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 05:51:41 AM »
Impressive photography, TH. I suppose the tiny lines at left are scratches, dug into the die by metal flowing away.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 08:33:14 AM »
I guess these lines will be either flow lines, or chisel marks left from engraving by the die maker.

Offline Rajagopal

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 06:18:51 PM »
I hope this one also belongs here..The bull is countermarked with something. What could be the drawing or word in front of the horseman? Weighs 3.15 grams

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 07:17:51 PM »
Great specimen, thanks for adding !
The dot on the jhul of the bull would make this a Tye#89.2 type. I have never seen the countermark present on your coin. I can also give no interpretation of its meaning unfortunately.
The elements in front of the horse are generally thought to be abstracted remnants of the text which was originally on the coins of the Kabul Shahi. Repeated copying probably led to a stylized pseudo-Arabic logo.