login

Author Topic: Sigismund III Coin? Assist with ID Please  (Read 201 times)

Offline CameronK

Sigismund III Coin? Assist with ID Please
« on: April 15, 2017, 07:34:29 PM »
I'm finding more Sigismumd coins these days! But I do have some trouble identifying them. I appreciate any help. This is silver, 20mm and weighs 1.2 grams. I can make out a "22" on one side, so I'm guessing it's (16) 22 and it appears to be a Kreuzer size coin, but that's about all I can guess. I put in the picture what I could make out of the logo. Thanks in advance for any help and/or links to resources!

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Re: Sigismund III Coin? Assist with ID Please
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 07:53:58 PM »
I think you've basically nailed it.

I make the legends SIGIS(mund) 3 D(ei) G(ratia) REX PMDL and MONE(ta) NO(va) REG(ni) POLO(niae).

I'm not sure what PMDL is an abbreviation of. DL is probably DUX LIVONIAE (duke of Livonia). P is presumably POLONIAE. M?? The other country Sigismund was king of, though not in 1622, is Sweden.

3 polker (1 kruzierz, i.e. Kreuzer) - there is a 3 at the base of the reverse which is slightly clearer on my example, below.

The 24 within the orb is presumably a fraction (there were 24 of these coins in some larger unit). The explanation of the monetary system in KM appears to miss a row of information that should explain the relationship between the polturak and the grosz.

KM 41.

Offline CameronK

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 11:22:13 PM »
Great info. Thanks so much!

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 10:55:51 AM »
REX PMDL = REX POLONIA MAGNAE DVX LITHVANIAE - king of Poland grand duke of Lithuania.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline CameronK

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 02:52:44 PM »
Thanks for the detail!

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 08:31:00 PM »
REX PMDL = REX POLONIA MAGNAE DVX LITHVANIAE - king of Poland grand duke of Lithuania.

Peter

<Latin grammar pedant mode = on>

That (with the correction POLONIAE) actually means King of Poland, Duke of Great(er) Lithuania.

REX POLONIAE MAGNUS DUX LITHUANIAE would fit your translation. Another interpretation using the same words would be REX POLONIAE MAGNAE, DUX LITHUANIAE, meaning King of Great(er) Poland, Duke of Lithuania.

All three are correct Latin but I've no idea which option Sigismund actually used.

;)

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 09:27:47 PM »
REX POLONIAE MAGNUS DUX LITHVANIAE. The title of the ruler of Lithuania at that time was grand duke. There's a nice little coin collection in their palace.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline CameronK

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 03:59:00 PM »
TX for the Latin!