login

Author Topic: Sigismund III Coin? Assist with ID Please  (Read 74 times)

Offline CameronK

Sigismund III Coin? Assist with ID Please
« on: April 15, 2017, 07:34:29 PM »
I'm finding more Sigismumd coins these days! But I do have some trouble identifying them. I appreciate any help. This is silver, 20mm and weighs 1.2 grams. I can make out a "22" on one side, so I'm guessing it's (16) 22 and it appears to be a Kreuzer size coin, but that's about all I can guess. I put in the picture what I could make out of the logo. Thanks in advance for any help and/or links to resources!

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Re: Sigismund III Coin? Assist with ID Please
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 07:53:58 PM »
I think you've basically nailed it.

I make the legends SIGIS(mund) 3 D(ei) G(ratia) REX PMDL and MONE(ta) NO(va) REG(ni) POLO(niae).

I'm not sure what PMDL is an abbreviation of. DL is probably DUX LIVONIAE (duke of Livonia). P is presumably POLONIAE. M?? The other country Sigismund was king of, though not in 1622, is Sweden.

3 polker (1 kruzierz, i.e. Kreuzer) - there is a 3 at the base of the reverse which is slightly clearer on my example, below.

The 24 within the orb is presumably a fraction (there were 24 of these coins in some larger unit). The explanation of the monetary system in KM appears to miss a row of information that should explain the relationship between the polturak and the grosz.

KM 41.

Offline CameronK

Re: Sigismund III Coin? Assist with ID Please
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 11:22:13 PM »
Great info. Thanks so much!