News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Zands, Karim Khan, 1177 AH (1763 AD), AR Abbasi (4 Shah), Mazandaran mint

Started by aws22, April 13, 2017, 12:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aws22

Zands, Karim Khan, 1177 AH (1763 AD), AR Abbasi (4 Shah), Mazandaran mint (1172-1193 AH)(1753-1779 AD)
Weight 4.5 gm
Diameter 21 mm
Metal Silver
Obverse is the Farsi couplet: "شد آفتاب و ماه زر و سیم در جهان/ از سکه امام بحق صاحب الزمان", Shod aftab-O-mah, zar-o-sim dar jahan/ az sekkee-ye Imam be-haqq Sahib-oz-Zamman, meaning: "Of the coin of Imam Sahib Alzaman (Master of the time, Islamic Shia faith branch Last spiritual leader as Savior), the sun and the moon become gold and silver". At the bottom line  ضرب مازندران "zarb Mazandaran" is also written.
Reverse: mint & date inside a cartouche,  ضرب مازندران struck at Mazandaran. The 77 part of the date is visible under and above the letter "R" of Zarb.
The calligraphy of Zarb Mazandran on this coin is different and beautiful; it is not so common for such mint. The mint place Mazandaran is written on both sides of the coin.
It is a nice rare silver coin and normally in my posts I tried to give great details for our WOC viewers in order to understand what is written on those coins and how the date is accommodated in between the words, with English translation. I hope this makes everyone happy.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

aws22

This kind of calligraphy is so beautiful, the last letter "N ن" of the word "Mazandaran مازندران " is placed so nicely at the top and accommodated in a U- type frame made from other parts of the word Mazandaran.  I think it nicely presented by the calligrapher.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".