Author Topic: Comments on "The Netherlands Under Nazi Occupation"  (Read 202 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Comments on "The Netherlands Under Nazi Occupation"
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 12:50:46 PM »
First of all, my thanks to my fellow forum member, eurocoin, who provided some information about the Dutch coin designs under the Occupation. As a patriotic royalist Dutchman, he does not like this subject, but he was kind enough to look in the Dutch archives for me, because he knows I am interested in the subject.

I think that the occupation series forms a fascinating set, though of course the ideology behind it is at best silly and weird, and ultimately hideous and murderous.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 02:41:42 PM »
Interesting to see how the Nazis tried to appeal to the Dutch. Name these two famous Dutch personalities.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 10:18:37 PM »

Apparently the "Saxon steeds" on the 5 cents coin are meant to represent horse head gables. Yes - great idea to cut a couple of horses' heads off and stick them on your roof.  :o  Next great "Germanic" idea - capture a cuckoo and put it in a clock.  8)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 09:52:05 AM »
Interesting to see how the Nazis tried to appeal to the Dutch. Name these two famous Dutch personalities.

Top: Paul Kruger (uncle Paul), not Dutch but president of the South African Republic, symbolising resistance against the British. Bottom: Michiel de Ruyter (bad portrait), known for destroying the English fleet off Chatham. German attempts to lure Dutchmen in their armed forces had little success, recruits came mostly from among young supporters of NSB, the Dutch nazi party. An early recruiter, retired general Hendrik Seyffardt, was killed by members of the resistance.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 10:03:07 AM »
It makes you wonder whether the Nazis and their friends knew Kruger was of mixed race. In the 1980s, I mentioned this to a South African, and he became furious and maintained Kruger was all white.  :D