Author Topic: Falkland Islands: 50p coins Penguins  (Read 2984 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Falkland Islands: 50p coins Penguins
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2017, 11:05:33 PM »
Canada did one of the first coloured coin a good while ago, a cent with the maple leaf coloured red. I had a collecting friend in Canada at the time. She told me the red paint came off so quickly it was impossible to find a good coin in circulation, so you had to get a roll and even in a roll, some coins had an incomplete paint layer. I suppose techniques have improved since, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that once a coin gets into circulation, the paint still comes off pretty fast.

I would also expect that, like most paints, you can solve the paint in stuff like terpentine or acetone.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2017, 12:26:20 PM »
King Penguin coin is now available for pre-order. Next coin in the series is the Magellanic Penguin which will be released in October.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2017, 02:28:43 PM »
An uncoloured 50p coin of the Falkland Islands that depicts the Magellanic Penguin has yesterday been found in circulation. The particular coin has not yet been issued by Pobjoy Mint. Earlier an uncoloured Rockhopper Penguin piece was found in circulation, Pobjoy at the time claimed it was impossible such piece was put into circulation by them and someone who bought the coloured coin must have taken the colour off (even although the particular piece was a very valuable error piece depicting the Northern instead of the Southern Rockhopper Penguin).

« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 02:59:57 PM by eurocoin »

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS UK
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2017, 03:31:40 PM »
Is it the same person that found both?
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2017, 04:08:41 PM »
Is it the same person that found both?

No it is not. This piece was found in circulation in Blackpool. The Rockhopper coin was found by another collector who lives in Colchester.

Pobjoy Mint is since this afternoon aware of the find but has not commented yet. A reply is expected later today.

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2017, 06:27:06 PM »
I would advise caution here... if Pobjoy Mint say it's impossible, I think I would be confident in smelling quite a big rat...

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2017, 04:54:34 AM »
A second uncoloured piece of the Magellanic Penguin 50p coin has yesterday been found in circulation by a collector in London.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2017, 09:21:00 PM »
Pobjoy's official reply in regard on the 2 uncoloured Magellanic Penguin coins that were found in circulation:

It has come to our attention that an uncoloured version of the Falkland Islands Magellanic Penguin 50p product has been put into circulation without our authorisation to be sold for retail purposes. We can confirm that this product was sent to a potential new client as a way of showcasing our product range to potentially gain their business. These were by no means meant to be sold or traded and should have been returned to the Mint afterward. Therefore, we can confirm that the Cupro Nickel Diamond Finish Coloured version is the only product that would be available for future purchase.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2017, 05:17:47 PM »

Image of the coloured Magellanic Penguin coin. The coin will be available to order from mid September, which is earlier than expected.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2017, 12:13:10 PM »
The coin is now available on Pobjoy's website.