login

Author Topic: Falkland Islands: 50p coins Penguins  (Read 3299 times)

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
Re: Falkland Islands: 50p coins Penguins
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 06:08:28 PM »
If you already wish to buy the correct one with the discount, the discount code is S8UTHERN.
Thanks, but when I try that code on Pobjoy's website I get a screen saying "Error - The code you entered is invalid".  Perhaps there's more than one code and that one has been exhausted?

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2017, 06:18:19 PM »
Oops my bad, the correct code is S8UTH
I have now amended my message. The correct coin will be dispatched from 1st June.

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2017, 07:37:31 PM »
Thanks, yes, that code works!

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 12:42:09 PM »
The issuance of the last batch of the erroneous Northern Rockhopper Penguins has been delayed until the second week of June. Furthermore on May 29 Pobjoy Mint will block the discount code (S8UTH) for the correct coin with the Southern Rockhopper Penguin on it, meaning that everyone who hasn't received the error one yet with the accompanying letter, will have to pay full price to obtain the correct one.

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 09:03:28 AM »
Thanks for that info!  Luckily I received my error one just over a week ago.  I didn't get round to ordering the southern one with the discount code until yesterday, but sounds like I've beaten the deadline.  I also ordered the collectors album.

Fair enough really that they block the code.  It's probably been abused, with word getting round and people ordering it with the code that hadn't even ordered the error one.  I was a bit surprised the code wasn't individual to each customer but I suppose that would have been costly and difficult to administer.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2017, 08:55:23 AM »
Another error: some of the Southern Rockhopper Penguin coins do not have a diamond finish obverse. Pobjoy Mint has been asked to comment but has not yet done so.

Update: Pobjoy's spokesperson has just informed collectors that Pobjoy Mint will not comment in public on this. People who have problems with their order can contact the mint.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 10:07:14 AM by eurocoin »

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 12:08:44 PM »

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2017, 10:58:15 AM »
Pobjoy Mint has received permission from the Government of the Falkland Islands to produce 2,000 pieces of each penguin coin in the series in silver proof.

Furthermore the King Penguin coin will depict 2 penguins (1 male and 1 female) and the Magellanic Penguin coin will depict a swimming penguin.

This information is exclusive to World of Coins Forum.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 03:50:55 PM »
An error penguin 50p coin that appears to have missed the colouring stage has been found in circulation in the UK, possibly spent by a Pobjoy Mint employee.

Update: According to Pobjoy Mint one of their customers must have taken the color off and must have spent it. The mint claims there is absolutely no other possibility. It also claims the metal under the colour on all of their Rockhopper coins is of diamond finish. According to them this proves someone has been messing with it to get the color off and by doing so has also taken off the diamond finish.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 10:22:06 PM by eurocoin »

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 09:24:06 PM »
This is amusing!  So Pobjoy Mint think that one of their own employees has absolutely no idea how rare this error Rockhopper penguin coin is in the first place.  They then presumably must believe that this person thought the colour wasn't added by the Mint and thus decided to return it to normal circulation condition by taking the time to remove the colour and then spending it.  Who would do that?!  How would they have removed the colour?  If that's a photo of the actual coin then it's extremely impressive.  You'd expect to see a few remnants of colour unless it all peeled off easily and in one go.

These Mints really do want to think that we were all born yesterday, don't they?

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS UK
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 09:42:01 PM »
This story reminds me of this one,  http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,15731.msg107665.html#msg107665
Where it turned out the mother of the person who created it was the person to "find it" in change....
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 10:26:08 PM »
This is amusing!  So Pobjoy Mint think that one of their own employees has absolutely no idea how rare this error Rockhopper penguin coin is in the first place.  They then presumably must believe that this person thought the colour wasn't added by the Mint and thus decided to return it to normal circulation condition by taking the time to remove the colour and then spending it.  Who would do that?!  How would they have removed the colour?  If that's a photo of the actual coin then it's extremely impressive.  You'd expect to see a few remnants of colour unless it all peeled off easily and in one go.

These Mints really do want to think that we were all born yesterday, don't they?

I have slightly ammended my message to make it more clear. At first it was suggested amongst collectors that one or more of these coins after minting (but before colouring) must have been taken out of the mint by some employee and been spent.

Instead Pobjoy claims one of their customers must have taken the paint off of this rare and expensive coin and must have spent it. The piece in the photo is indeed the piece that was found in circulation and as you said, there are absolutely no traces of paint left nor did the supposed altering to get the paint off leave any clearly visible marks. Pobjoy Mint however claims the altering destroyed the Diamond Finish which is no longer visible.

The photo is indeed the piece that was found in circulation. It was found in Colchester, around 80 miles from where Pobjoy is located. It will be interesting if more pieces turn up.

Anyway at least I now finally have an image of the coin before colouring. I had asked Pobjoy Mint to send me such image months ago but they refused to do so because "Unfortunately, we cannot share any pictures that are not the official coloured pictures".
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 10:39:40 PM by eurocoin »

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS UK
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 10:36:02 PM »
I will not be surprised if more of these pieces turn up.

I would - be a great way to start a fake news story - knock the paint off, get some relative to "find it" then use the publicity sell it with accompanying back story on ebay....

I've never tried personally, but I wonder if it's possible to remove the paint with some sort of paint remover?

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2017, 10:44:07 PM »
I would - be a great way to start a fake news story - knock the paint off, get some relative to "find it" then use the publicity sell it with accompanying back story on ebay....

I've never tried personally, but I wonder if it's possible to remove the paint with some sort of paint remover?

Well, if it really is the case that someone did this deliberately that person has made a big mistake because collectors show very little interest in it and everyone seems to agree that the non-coloured piece is worth substantially less than the coloured piece.

More than likely there exist products that will get it off. I would expect many of these products to leave many small scratches in the metal though.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS UK
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2017, 10:58:10 PM »
Well, if it really is the case that someone did this deliberately that person has made a big mistake

People do do silly things sometimes, I've recently been watching a few Isle Of Man coins, the new designs from 2017 on ebay - someone out there plated some with gold - they sold for less than normal.. doh!