login

Author Topic: Allied World War 2: liberation and occupation - temporary issues  (Read 340 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
During the final stages of World War 2, the Allies issued some temporary liberation and / or occupation issues.

I will post one or two. If you know of any more, please post them.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: Allied World War 2: liberation and occupation - temporary issues
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 11:46:33 AM »

Belgium: this 2 francs coin, made of zinc-coated steel, was issued in 1944 by the Allies. Does anybody know the story behind it?

See also: Belgium under Nazi Occupation.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 11:48:06 AM »
Here we have a rather similar Allied issue for France: 2 francs, 1944. What is the story behind this?

See also: Vichy France: Its history and coinage.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 02:29:10 PM »
Both coins were minted in Philadelphia. Schön says the French piece was produced in 1945 and, after the end of WW2, shipped to Europe. Circulated primarily in Southern France and Algeria ...

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 03:09:47 PM »
Not sure whether they belong here but ... several Dutch coins were, with the "usual" designs, minted in the US (mostly Philadelphia but also Denver and San Francisco) during WW2. Some were made for unoccupied territories such as Suriname and Curaçao, but Philadelphia also made coins for the "European" Netherlands.

In post-WW2 Germany (between the liberation and the currency reforms) the Allies made 1, 5 and 10 Pfennig coins with the same appearance as the nazi coins. Except that the swastika and the wreath were replaced with a tail. :)

Christian

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 06:30:11 PM »
In post-WW2 Germany (between the liberation and the currency reforms) the Allies made 1, 5 and 10 Pfennig coins with the same appearance as the nazi coins. Except that the swastika and the wreath were replaced with a tail. :)

Yes, I was hoping you would mention those. I was also hoping, as ever, that you would post some images too. But to no avail, so as usual I will have to do it myself.  ::)

Here is a 10 Pfennig from 1947. They, and the 5 Pfennig coins, were also issued in 1948. The first 1 Pfennig coin was issued in 1945.

Yes, a de-swastika-d eagle.

Presumably the F is a mint mark - but for which mint?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 06:47:47 PM by <k> »

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 12:06:51 AM »
That is a difference between the first couple of coins (US made for unoccupied or to-be-liberated areas) and those pieces for Germany: The latter were actually minted here - "F" is Stuttgart. The Hamburg mint (J) was destroyed in 1943 and thus did not make any of these. And the others, the 1 Rpf was minted in Stuttgart/F and Karlsruhe/G only, the 5 Rpf in Berlin/A, Munich/D and Muldenhütten/E, and the 10 Rpf coins came from A/E/F/G.

Sometimes I do post images. ;) But especially when it comes to coins in my own collection, getting them out and taking (good) photos is quite time consuming. So when I need to decide whether I should not reply at all, or post a "text only" reply, I tend to pick the second option. A bird in the hand ...

Christian

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 08:02:00 AM »

Belgium: this 2 francs coin, made of zinc-coated steel, was issued in 1944 by the Allies. Does anybody know the story behind it?

See also: Belgium under Nazi Occupation.

If I remember right, these are minted on blanks originally intended for the zinc US 1 cent minted in 1943.