Author Topic: South Indian coins with motifs of Hindu Gods/Goddesses - various examples  (Read 2971 times)

Offline rgs1978

• Meritorious Member
Another south indian Sree Veera (overstruck in reverse).
The tiny coin shows LakshmiNarasimha on the obvrese. Narasimhavatar of Lord Vishnu to save his devotee Prahlada from demon king Hiranyakashipu is often worshipped in UgraNarasimha form where the diety is at the zenith of anger and to kill all and everything due to his wrath against Hiranyakashipu, who tortures his devotee Prahlada. Now, he is worshipped in the form of the benevolent Lakshmi Narasimha, his anger abated, his desire to destruct lessened by the tiny Lakshmi who sits on his right thigh.

I got attracted to this tiny coin due to its unusual shape, which I assume happened during hammering.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
The pictures you found makes the coins extra interesting. I think the unusual shape came about because the flan was too hot when it was handled by a tweezer during production.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 10:14:14 AM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline rgs1978

• Meritorious Member
Nayaks of Madhurai - Overstruck motif over another...
Obverse: Garuda overstruck on seated Lakshmi/seated Goddess.
Reverse: "Govinda" Legends in Tamil
Rare coin.

I have rotated the coin and enlarged and shown where we can see the Lakshmi under Garuda. It is shown in the bottom part...

Another one....

Offline rgs1978

• Meritorious Member
Nayaks issue with legend Sri Mangamma

Obverse showing Lord Narasimha in the "Yoganarasimha" pose (Yoga Narasimha is a form of Vishnu's incarnation as Narasimha the man lion, seated cross-legged in a Yogic posture) in front of the Sudarsana Chakra (For those who don't know, Sudarshana is name given for the famous discus weapon of Lord Vishnu, the ultimate weapon of destruction).

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Nice find again ! If i would have encountered htis i probably would not have recognized the deity on this one.
Thanks for accompanying many of your coins with the corresponding statues ! Shows nicely how the coinage was an integral part of the culture of the society in these days.

Offline rgs1978

• Meritorious Member
Nice find again ! If i would have encountered htis i probably would not have recognized the deity on this one.
Thanks for accompanying many of your coins with the corresponding statues ! Shows nicely how the coinage was an integral part of the culture of the society in these days.

Sir it is only my duty to give back to the forum as I have taken so much info from this forum for enhancing my knowledge. And South Indian coinage is something which is least represented here and hence i can add some info. Glad to do that for future collectors. My only disappointment is out of the 1000+ varieties available i can show only very few here as it is not falling under my theme collection and hence i do not collect. I do attach possible photos from net sources with many of my coins because, this is an international forum and as such many people may not be familiar with the hinduism and its multiple Gods in various forms.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
And your efforts are surely appreciated ! :like:

Anthony

Offline rgs1978

• Meritorious Member
Here are two tiny coins of Tanjavur ....Both coins have a Shivalinga on the reverse.
Coin 1: Diety on a bird (may be Goddess Saraswati on a swan?)
Coin 2: Tiger / Lion to left with tail raised..

Offline rgs1978

• Meritorious Member
Obverse: Seated Narasimha (probably Yoga Narasimha - please refer my other post for what Yoga Narasimha is).
Reverse: Tamil legend "Govinda" (partly off flan).

weight: 2.87 grams

Offline rgs1978

• Meritorious Member
Here is a coin of Nayaks of Tanjavur
Obverse: Vishnu (Overstruck?)
Reverse: Garlanded Shivalingam
weight: 3.29grams

Offline rgs1978

• Meritorious Member
Obverse: Lord Vishnu
Reverse: Shivalingam

Offline rgs1978

• Meritorious Member
Obverse: Lord Shiva with consort Parvathy
Reverse: Tamil legend "Sri"

Offline Saikat

• Indexer
  • Meritorious Member
    • My facebook page on coins
Very nice collection. This thread is turning out a catalogue of South Indian coins.
Thanks for showing these.
Saikat

Offline EWC

• Meritorious Member
Just a thought -  my recollection from visiting Hampi many years ago is that there are many many columns there, each one formed as two or more often three connected cubes, thus each showing eight or twelve faces.  On each face is carved a very specific icon.  Since I seem to recall hundreds of such pillars that makes for thousands of icons, although many of course repeat.

The second thing I noticed is that many of the icons were obviously from the same set that inspired the Nayak of Madura copper issues, which would be near contemporary I suppose. 

It would be a nice project to see how many could be exactly matched up, with pics side by side.........

Here is a link to some photos of the sort of pillars I saw at Hampi, although I suppose many collectors in India will already know what I am talking about.  (amazingly, I could not find pics for Hampi itself - in a quick seach via google images)

http://tamilnadu-favtourism.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/astrapurisvara-temple-aanur-chengalpet.html
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:44:47 AM by EWC »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Interesting thought. It brings up another one. Could these coins have been made solely for the purpose of offering at the temples?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.