Author Topic: Posthumous Hermaios drachm  (Read 179 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Posthumous Hermaios drachm
« on: June 03, 2018, 03:21:52 PM »
Just acquired this little silver drachm, an Indo-Scythian imitation of Hermaios drachms. Somewhere I saw the date 55-45 BC, that would make it contemporary with the coinage of Azes I. The seller suggested Paropamisadai as the country, which is a province of Gandhara in the mountainous north of India.

AR drachm imitating Hermaios, from Gandhara, possibly 55-45 BC. Obv. Diademed bust of Hermaios right. BASILEOS SOTEROS …IOY. Rev. Zeus enthroned, holding sceptre and making a benediction gesture, monogram to left. 14 mm, 2.13 gr. Bop. 15-B, MIG 419.a, Hoover 304 or 305.

-- Paul

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Posthumous Hermaios drachm
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 09:25:54 PM »
Missed this coin when it was posted. Just encountered it while browsing older subjects.
Certainly an attractive specimen for the type.
Classification of these i find very confusing, as there are probably more postumous than lifetime issues.
Looking in Hoover i would arrange this more under H-305, which Hoover associates with Bop-series-17.
With the dotted hair it could also be an even later Indian issue, though usually these are (silvered) bronze.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 01:23:02 AM »
Thanks for your comments. The later Indian issues, do they also have the well readable Greek lettering?
— Paul
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 11:54:56 AM by Pellinore »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 01:32:53 PM »
The later Indian issues, do they also have the well readable Geek lettering?

The early subtypes within this categroy are well readable, but this seems to deteriorate over time. But i guess no one really knows where to put the deviding line between the "Indo-Skythian" and "Indian" imitative issues.