Author Topic: South Indian coins with motifs of Hindu Gods/Goddesses - various examples  (Read 2967 times)

Offline rgs1978

• Meritorious Member
Hi friends,
I have been posting some South Indian coins off late and suddenly this theme occured to me as this is what i collect mainly nowadays (though i do collect other coins also). Here's my first post on this theme and more to follow...

A recent acquisitionof Nayaks of Tanjavur of Tamilnadu, India provenance.
Obverse: Lord Vishnu
Reverse: Shivalingam

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
It is always good to have one or several themes in your collection where you can go beyond the basics of just collecting.
The South-Indian coins have had less attention in the past here on this site than their Northern counterparts. So i applaud your intention to show more of these !

Anthony

Offline rgs1978

• Meritorious Member
My next post is a scarce coin of Tanjavur Nayaks showing a dancing Krishna on obverse and Hanuman running to to left.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Do you happen to know why there are two dots to the left of Krishna's face as well as Hanuman's face?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline rgs1978

• Meritorious Member
Do you happen to know why there are two dots to the left of Krishna's face as well as Hanuman's face?

Peter

My imagination. Probably seniors can correct me.

Offline rgs1978

• Meritorious Member
Nayaks of Madhurai - Overstruck motif over another...
Obverse: Garuda overstruck on seated Lakshmi/seated Goddess.
Reverse: "Govinda" Legends in Tamil
Rare coin.

I have rotated the coin and enlarged and shown where we can see the Lakshmi under Garuda. It is shown in the bottom part...

Offline rgs1978

• Meritorious Member
This time with Ram Sita and Hanuman. Usually I see Lakshman also in pictures that can be seen online. May be off flan? But am able to see dotted border clearly..don't think it is off flan. What is your opinion?

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Looks to be nicely centered and complete to me.

Offline rgs1978

• Meritorious Member
Next coin in this series has the motif of Lord Rama with a bow on the obverse and Sree Veera legend on the reverse.a Madhurai Nayaks Issue. Nicely struck on the obverse centrally, this coin is a recent addition to my kitty.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
What you don't mention about this last one, and what makes it extra interesting, is that it seems to be overstruck.
As i can see a "Sri Veera" also next to the bow. Now the question is, was this overstruck on a previous issue, or might this be a "flip over double strike" while it was minted ?

Offline rgs1978

• Meritorious Member
Yes, I forgot to mention about overstruck part. However I couldn't find any other underlying motifs there. I think most probably a flip over double strike. Am not an expert though.

Offline rgs1978

• Meritorious Member
It is said that Lord Vishnu, the one among the three who is associated with protection of the Universe, is in a state of cosmic hybernation (refered to as ANANTHASAYANAM) on top of Adishesha, who is the king of Snakeworld and is accompanied by his consort Goddess Lakshmi.

The coins with Ananthasayanam depicted is most often seen in the coinage of Princely State Travancore and then Madhurai Nayaks. The Ananthasayanam coins are deemed to be rare in good condition and scarcer in any lower condition. Here is a coin depicting Ananthasayanam on the obverseof Madhurai Nayaks with legend "Sreeveera" on the reverse. A rock inscription of the image from some unknown site, from net sources is also given for ready comparison.

Offline rgs1978

• Meritorious Member
A coin with legend Sreeveera on reverse and showing Lord Hanuman praying Lord Narasimha, the incarnation /Avatar of Mahavishnu. Madurai Nayaks issue.

Offline rgs1978

• Meritorious Member
Obverse: Ram, Lakshman and Sita
Reverse: Legend "Sree Veera"

Madhurai Nayaks coin
Reverse seems to be overstruck..

Offline rgs1978

• Meritorious Member
Obverse: Lord Narasimha
Reverse: Telugu Legend

Madhurai Nayaks issue.