Author Topic: S & T Immodest coin  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
S & T Immodest coin
« on: August 10, 2009, 01:49:17 PM »
This coin is huge. As in humongous. As in 54.5 grams and 28-29.5 mm. It is about 11 mm thick. It is easily the heaviest Dutch colonial coin I have. No wonder, if you realize that in the homeland, this denomination (and the one below it) would be struck in silver. You wonder how many people were willing to carry. It's a 2 stuivers struck at Negapatnam, KM 29, Scholten 1243 (var). Obverse Kali, reverse NAKAPATTANAM in Tamil.

The die maker had plenty of place for the whole design and indeed, the text is complete and most of the pearl border is visible, proving that the coin was struck well centered. Yet the Kali still seems to drop off the edge. Maybe coins with the whole design on them didn't look "real". The details are sharp and evenly struck. The man who struck this coin must have been a towering brute with biceps the size of my arm.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
Re: S & T Immodest coin
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 05:40:32 AM »
Peter, this is amazing!!!! 11 mm thick and 54.5 grams! I'd love to have a pocket full of such change, just not if I'm traveling in open water.
I'm posting the following for a better look. Hope you don't mind.
richie