login

Author Topic: Macedonian Kingdom: Alexander III 'the Great' (336-323 BCE) Unit (Price 2799)  (Read 418 times)

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Macedonian Kingdom: Alexander III 'the Great' (336-323 BCE) Unit, Uncertain Western Asian Mint (Price 2799)

Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion's skin headdress
Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ; Bow in bow-case and club; below, race-torch left; c/m: uncertain object (possibly horse's head right) within circular incuse

A high-resolution image of this coin is available at FORVM Ancient Coins

A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Bow in bow-case or bow behind bow case? I seem to remember that bow in bow case meant peace and outside was the symbol for struck in war time. Alexander knew little else than war time ...

Also, memory nags that all coins of Alexander were posthumous?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Also, memory nags that all coins of Alexander were posthumous?

Not all coins are posthumous.  These coins, along with the tets, are broken down into two groups: lifetime and posthumous.  This particular coin is a lifetime issuance...

Ram

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Overlord's stamp and coin collection
Any general characteristic that can help one quickly distinguish a lifetime issue from a posthumous one?

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Any general characteristic that can help one quickly distinguish a lifetime issue from a posthumous one?

Typically, not easy without reliable sources.  You could, however, use the following general rules to distinigush lifetime tets from posthumous ones, but it is not foolproof:

• Lifetime tetradrachms typically have AΛEΞANΔPOY as the legend whereas posthumous ones have BAΣIΛEΩΣ AΛEΞANΔPOY
  • Zeus' legs are not crossed over on lifetime tetradrachms, but are on posthumous ones
  • Posthumous ones, sometimes, have additive symbols behind Zeus' throne which are not present on lifetime tetradrachms
  • Typical attributes such as weight and flan size also matters

Regards,

Ram

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
Great info. Thanks.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Great detail on the reverse in this one !

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
Thanks to these tips, I was able to find a lifetime issue Drachm (Price 1356 according to Wildwinds). Not the prettiest specimen, but affordable enough to make me happy.  :)

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
For reference see, http://numismatics.org/pella/id/price.1356

Glad you got one, they are definitely nice coins.  Do post the image when you get a chance...

Ram

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
For reference see, http://numismatics.org/pella/id/price.1356

Glad you got one, they are definitely nice coins.  Do post the image when you get a chance...

Ram
I am finding this link very useful. The site has quite a few specimens with Price references. Thank you.