Author Topic: London Market Tokens  (Read 5177 times)

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: London Market Tokens
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 08:25:40 AM »
I remember my father was very pleased with himself having remembered all the birthdays correctly on some official form he filled in, however mum then pointed out he had them all listed in the same year!
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Druidqueen

• Reader
Re: London Market Tokens
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 06:54:03 PM »
Information on E. Ellison tokens
Available known tokens 6d/1s/2s/2 & 6s/ 5s/ 10s. Some were R. Neal maker and some were C. Neal maker.
Founded in 1879 Egbert Ellison, & Son by 1935, have had but the one address, 18 Stratford Market for their entire span of business, a total of 111 years, equivalent to the life span of the Market itself making this company unique amongst all the other traders. This firm are listed in 1882 as vegetable salesmen then by 1904 as potato salesmen. In 1927 their trade changes to fruit salesmen which it continues to be recorded well into the 1980's (although in 1979/80 directory they are classified as potato merchants). Judging from what was viewed at no.18 on a number of occasions in 1990 vegetable salesmen would be a more correct definition of their present business. In the 1950's Mr E.L Ellison was president of the Stratford Market Tenants Association Ltd. The current principal of E. Ellison & Son, Mr W. Adams, most generously donated the vintage company stationary illustrated and provided tallies of his and other firms that were until now unrecorded by the author
(John R.P King 1990). Hope this is useful  ;)