login

Author Topic: Round AE Hemi-obol of Maues in imitation of the coin of Demetrius I of Bactria  (Read 148 times)

Offline coinlover

This is a Round AE Hemi-obol of Maues, the Indo-Scythian ruler. The coin is similar to the tri-chalkon of the Bactrian monarch Demetrius I, although Maues's coin is smaller in size and weight.

Weight: 9.76 gm. Diameter: 26.6 mm

Obv. Elephant head right, with raised trunk, bell around neck,bead and reel border around.
Rev. Caduceus, Greek legend: at right: BAΣIΛEΩΣ at left: MAYOY, monogram in left field (obliterated in my coin).

Anjan

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
I read MAUOU BASILEUS, but what is the object in the centre? It looks like a wingless caduceus, variant of the attribute of Hermes, messenger of the gods in the ancient Greek pantheon. Why would Maues (or Demetrius) use such a symbol?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline coinlover

May be that their royal sceptres were in the form of a Caduceus, thus representing their royal lineage and power.

Anjan

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Hi Anjan, not see you much around. Glad to seeing some nice aquisitions again !
The image of this coin seems to show some distortion. Did you make this photo with a USB microscope ?

Anthony

Offline coinlover

With the mobile camera, Anthony.

Anjan

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Well, if you mean the mobile phone camera than i could probably not do better on the quality. These do have their limitations, but the details are well visible.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Got the caduceus thing figured out here. It is a symbol of trade.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.