Author Topic: Mughal, Jahandar Shah, 1/2 Rupee Surat KM#362.1  (Read 1738 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Mughal, Jahandar Shah, 1/2 Rupee Surat KM#362.1
« on: August 09, 2009, 01:48:59 PM »
This is a 1/2 rupee of Jahandar Shah, Surat KM# 362.1. I hope that i am correct with my attribution. There is no date seen on the flan. On the reverse RY ahd is seen.
Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Re: Mughal, Jahandar Shah, 1/2 Rupee Surat KM#362.1
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 11:40:22 PM »
Attribution correct. The AH date is located to the left of Sikkah. On this rupee just part of the 4 of 1124 can be observed.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 03:25:50 AM »
Oesho,
Thanks a lot for the confirmation.
Amit

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 01:20:23 PM »
I do enjoy seeing these elegant pieces, asm. Thanks for posting them.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 09:06:22 PM »
I certainly enjoyed this coin Amit.  We don't see as many half rupees, do we?
richie

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 06:47:09 AM »
The condition of this coin is not excellent. I picked it up basically since it shows a clear mint name and the rulers name. The surface of the coin looks as though it has passed through some acid treatments or scrubbings. I have another one which is in an excellent condition but the mint name is not seen and the first line on the obverse is off the flan. I will try to get a picture of it and post it later this week. It is dated 1124 RY: Ahad and hence I have attributed it to Jahandar Shah.
Richie, I agree that Mughal fractions are not regularly seen. Half rupees, you do come across some times, One fourth rupee - once in a blue moon but the smaller fractions...... I do have one coin of each fraction of a rupee (1/32 Rs, 1/16 Rs, 1/8 Rs.) but of different rulers -Aurangzeb + Muhammad Shah. Such tiny pieces, one is afraid that they would fly away in the breeze......
Amit

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 06:16:34 PM »
I'd love to see the smaller denominations together, for size comparison.  Sure, it would be nice if they were all of one ruler, but nonetheless,  they are all of one dynasty.  1/32!  That is small.

richie

Offline Coinsforever

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 05:07:25 PM »
The condition of this coin is not excellent. I picked it up basically since it shows a clear mint name and the rulers name. The surface of the coin looks as though it has passed through some acid treatments or scrubbings. I have another one which is in an excellent condition but the mint name is not seen and the first line on the obverse is off the flan. I will try to get a picture of it and post it later this week. It is dated 1124 RY: Ahad and hence I have attributed it to Jahandar Shah.
Richie, I agree that Mughal fractions are not regularly seen. Half rupees, you do come across some times, One fourth rupee - once in a blue moon but the smaller fractions...... I do have one coin of each fraction of a rupee (1/32 Rs, 1/16 Rs, 1/8 Rs.) but of different rulers -Aurangzeb + Muhammad Shah. Such tiny pieces, one is afraid that they would fly away in the breeze......
Amit

Quite fascinating 1/2 rupee of Jahandar shah not at all easy to find in this condition. 

Would  love to see other fractional rupees.

Cheers ;D
Every experience, good or bad, is a priceless collector's item.

http://knowledge-numismatics.blogspot.in/