Author Topic: Need some background on Adolphi“s ducatons  (Read 387 times)

Offline dal

Need some background on Adolphi“s ducatons
« on: March 07, 2017, 02:04:15 PM »
Hello there,
I always wanted to learn about these coins. I read somewhere they are special strikes by mintmaster Christoffel Adolphi, also that they were emergency issues. Can someone give me more information or direct me to some reading (articles, books, catalogs, preferably in English).
Thanks,
David.

Offline SpaBreda

Re: Need some background on Adolphi“s ducatons
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 08:50:13 PM »
Found this story about the history of the Amsterdam mint.
He tried to get a job there, but ended up in Enkhuizen.
He made some very nice "trial pieces" for the Amsterdam mint.

http://onsamsterdam.nl/tijdschrift/jaargang-2010/86-nummer-1-januari-2010?start=4

Didn't find any English info yet ...  >:(

Paul.

Offline dal

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 11:05:37 PM »
Hi Paul,
thanks a lot! Actually the google translator worked remarkably well. Although the article doesn“t mention these coins specifically, it implies that these well struck coins were trial pieces. Do you think these ducatons are trials ? I ask because they are not really rare, only mildly rare perhaps, and several show signs of circulation
Cheers,
David.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 12:03:34 AM »
IIRC (sorry, far away from my library now), they are private contemporary souvenirs of the 1672 war of the Republic with France, England, Munster and Cologne. They were sold as such and are not trial pieces or patterns. That doesn't mean they are not nice, just that they are not money.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline dal

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 05:01:19 PM »
Hi Peter,
thanks for the additional insight. Can you remember from your library which is the book reference which I can read about these emissions?
Thanks, David,