Author Topic: General Catalog of World Bimetallic Coins  (Read 163 times)

Offline Jostein

• WBCN
General Catalog of World Bimetallic Coins
« on: March 16, 2017, 07:56:10 PM »
Dear friends.

I'm glad to present you my work from almost three years. As you know, I'm a bimetallic coin collector and also one of the webmaster of www.worldbcnews.com.
I leave below the link to "General Catalog of World Bimetallic Coins", that will be ready to send from Monday 20th March. Special thanks to WoC forum member eurocoin, he helped me to found a lot of new issues of diferent countries.

http://www.worldbcnews.com/historia/catalog.html

The price of the Catalog o 296 pages and self-made real size images is €28.00 for EU countries and €30.00 for the rest of the world cost of shipping are included in the final prices.

To know more just click here: http://www.worldbcnews.com/historia/catalog.html
If you are interested in purchase one just let me know.

Best wishes and thank you so much.

:)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 09:27:40 AM by Jostein »
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

http://www.worldbcnews.com

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: General Catalog of World Bimetallic Coins
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 09:31:43 PM »
Congratulations on finishing the project, Jostein. The subject reminded me of the only other book I know that catalogues coins on the basis of their metallic content: Joseph Neumann's Beschreibung der bekanntesten kupfermünzen (description of the best known copper coins), a modest title, as it contains a wealth of information, also on copper tokens. You just inspired me to see if we can add this book to the WoC bookshelf.

I am tickled that you got help from a WoC member. That's one of our goals: bringing people together who can support each other with their numismatic projects. It creates value for everyone.

The subject is open-ended. Bimetallic coins are still being made. I wish you good luck with the sales, so that there will be a next edition.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Jostein

• WBCN
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 09:37:31 AM »
Hi Peter!

Thank you so much for your awesome and motivating words. I didn't know about the another book of coins catalogued according to metallic composition! It is a good thing.
I agree that the spirit of WoC (cooperation) is in this work, without the help of a lot of people, the paperback cataloge would not have been possible.

If you need anything just let me know :)

Best,

Fran
"Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future" - John F. Kennedy

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 09:52:43 AM »
Many congratulations for your first catalog. May there be many more in future! :applause:

Few questions:

1. Have you given catalog numbers to all the bimetallic coins listed? If yes, is there any special methodology adopted for it?

2. I believe that the catalog lists only legal tender coins (Circulating as well as non circulating)?

3. Does it list errors/mules?

4. Does it also indicate catalog/approximate market price?

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline Jostein

• WBCN
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 10:44:22 AM »
Thank you so much Aditya! I'll try to ask some of your questions:

1.Have you given catalog numbers to all the bimetallic coins listed? If yes, is there any special methodology adopted for it?
Yes, all the coins have their own BC# code (bimetallic coin number), as well their KM#*. It is based on the ISO code of each country and the date of issue of each coin. Also, letters are used if the coin use the same design but has more than one metallic version i.e. 100 pesos coins from Mexico are MX#150, base metal and MX#150a precious metal version.

2. I believe that the catalog lists only legal tender coins (Circulating as well as non circulating)?
Yes, only legar tender coins, circulating and non circulating, base and precious metals. A gold market value table for each specific coin is located on the back of the catalog.

3. Does it list errors/mules?
Just the most significatives (i.e. italian 1000 lire 1997, Argentina 1 peso 1995, or Portugal 100 escudos 1999, each one has also their own BC# code)

4. Does it also indicate catalog/approximate market price?
Yes, but keep in mind that the market value is allways fluctuating and this can change.

The book also has an indroduction about bimetallic coins, diferent kinds of edges and some interesting index tables. Some coins also have curious notes about them.

* has the special approval of Krause Publications.

If you need something, just let me know.

Thank yo so much.

Best,

Fran.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 11:04:51 AM »
Thanks Fran! Couple of more doubts: >:D

Just the most significatives (i.e. italian 1000 lire 1997, Argentina 1 peso 1995, or Portugal 100 escudos 1999, each one has also their own BC# code)

I guess you must have included Finland €2 (2006, regular) with new map, Portugal €1 (2008) with old map too? ;)

Have you also differentiated varieties based on mint marks? (Can think of some Luxembourg €2 commemorative coins, where proof variety was struck at different mint)

Aditya

Offline Jostein

• WBCN
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 11:36:44 AM »
Thanks Fran! Couple of more doubts: >:D

1. I guess you must have included Finland €2 (2006, regular) with new map, Portugal €1 (2008) with old map too? ;)

2. Have you also differentiated varieties based on mint marks? (Can think of some Luxembourg €2 commemorative coins, where proof variety was struck at different mint)

Aditya

1. First one not (I completely forgot it  :o) second one yes, as well the 2008 old map Land series of Germany.
2. I just did mention about it, not specifical indication about each diferent mint marks...maybe this would be a task for next editions :)

If you have more questions let me know please. I'll try to do more pics and upload it later this evening.

Best,

Fran.

Offline Jostein

• WBCN
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 01:30:03 PM »
The first mintage of the Catalog is SOLD OUT!! I'll reprint it due to high demand, also some numismatics shops of my city have been interested in acquire it...I'm so happy :)

I know that I'm annoying but I'm so exited!!!  ;D

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 01:56:48 PM »
 :like: :like: :applause:

Online quaziright

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 02:17:58 PM »
It looks like a very interesting book! It may make sense to advertise it on numista and colnect as well? Perhaps if you can offer some deal for members either here or on that site, you would probably see even more uptake

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 07:26:43 AM »
Great achievement indeed. Congratulations! :applause:

Nice background of coins to take a photo of the catalog, by the way... ;) Have you pulled out those Austrian €25 Silver-Niobium coins from their boxes and put them in a specially made (wooden?) box?

Aditya

Offline Jostein

• WBCN
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 12:43:39 PM »
It looks like a very interesting book! It may make sense to advertise it on numista and colnect as well? Perhaps if you can offer some deal for members either here or on that site, you would probably see even more uptake

Good idea quaziright...How can I do it? I would like to offer some deal for WoC, numista and colcnect members. How Can I do it? The second batch is already being printed.

Best,

Fran

PS: Hi Aditya! Thanks for your words...yes, I usually pull out the coins from their boxes to see them day by day hahaha, but I still conserve their original boxes and CoAs...of course!!