login

Linked Events

• Ahmedabad Coins & Currency Fair - 1 & 2 April 2017: April 01, 2017 - April 02, 2017

Author Topic: Bi-Annual Ahmedabad Coins & Currency Fair - 1 & 2 April 2017  (Read 342 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Bi-Annual Ahmedabad Coins & Currency Fair - 1 & 2 April 2017
« on: March 10, 2017, 11:23:33 AM »
The Ahmedabad Coins and Currency Fair is now a bi-annual event. Besides August, it will also be held in April each year. This is what was announced by Mr Shatrughan Saravgi, the owner of Classical Numismatic Gallery, who hosts the (till now) Annual event.

This year the April show will be a 2 day event on 1st & 2nd April.

Amit
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 12:18:04 PM by asm »
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Re: Bi-Annual Ahmedabad Coins & Currency Fair - 1 & 2 April 2017
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 11:55:51 AM »
A ONS Meeting will be held in Ahmedabad on the occasion of the Ahmedabad Coins & Currency Fair on 2nd April 2017 at around 11 a.m.

There are 5 presentations / talks scheduled during the event. Two are by eminent numismatists - Mr Prashant Kulkarni and Mr Dilip Rajgor, two by budding numismatists (both local) Haroon Shaikh and yours truely and the last one is by the secretary of the SA chapter on the ONS - Mr Mahesh Kalra.

Amit

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 12:16:38 PM »
Classical Numismatic Gallery (Ahmedabad) has an auction scheuled for the 1st of April 2017.

Amit

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 01:37:05 PM »
The latest flyer mentioning the details.

Amit

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 10:27:12 AM »
I was not able to spend too much time this time around due to dome personal work. However, I was there briefly on Saturday and on Sunday I went of the ONS meet. It appears that business was not brisk at the event. In fact, there were a few empty tables (may be the auction was on). However, even the footpath sellers were few.
I will talk to a few friends and get back with more feedback on the business done. However, the auction was well attended and some coins did sell at high prices.
I am posting a few pictures of the event from the organizers Fb page.

Amit

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 10:36:23 AM »
The ONS meet was also well attended. We had some great presentations from Mr Prashant Kulkarni on Western Kshatraps, Mr Dilip Rajgor on Mughal Coins of Gujarat (some interesting points were made) and Harun Shaikh on the Mughal Coins of Anhilwara Pattan. This last one was in fact the most interesting where he discussed the possibility of there being two different mints rather than all coins being from the same mint. (I will prepare a short note on this and post it on the Mughal coins board). Besides this, there was a presentation by Mr Mahesh Kalra based on his PhD thesis and one by me on the coins of Lunavada & Chhota Udepur.

A few pictures of the event follow. The first one is of the five speakers with the host Mr Shatrughan Saravgi (to the right). From Left: Me, Mr Prashant Kulkarni, Dr Rajgor, Harun Sheikh. Mr Mahesh Kalra who is the Regional Sec. of the ONS.

Amit

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 10:38:51 AM »
......some more images.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 07:43:31 PM »
Thanks Amit for the write up.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 10:34:27 PM »
Excellent stuff, Amit. You found the entrance to the speakers' circuit. Thank you for taking the time to put the highlights in writing here. Looking forward to the additiional notes.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 09:45:46 AM »
Looking forward to the additiional notes.

Peter, here goes...........

Mr Mahesh Kalra, the regional secretary of the ONS SA had requested that since the meeting was being held in Ahmedabad, he would like the speakers to talk on the coinage of Gujarat and thus we had four of us talk on the coins of the region.

The first Presentation was by Mr Prashant Kulkarni. His presentation was on the coins of the Western Kshrataps. He explained in details about the coins, the ways to distinguish between the coins of the cities, the urban areas and the rural areas and also, how coins had been the lead source in helping dig out the history of those times. As he mentioned, only six rulers of the dynasty are known from the rock edicts while another 32 odd have been known from coins only. Besides this, he mentioned that since the rulers mentioned their ansestor on the coin, putting to gather the linage and history was not too difficult. All in all, it was interesting even for a layman.

Next up was the presentation by Dr Dilip Rajgor on the Mughal coins of Gujarat. He showed how to classify the coins of the Imperial mints and differentiate them from copies minted by local rulers etc. He talked in details about the coinage of Jahangir and Nur Jahan, Shah Jahan etc. He presented a picture of a square area coin of Surat under Aurangzeb a Mohur. Again, it was a very interesting talk.

Next in line was me. I talked about the coins of Chhota Udepur and Lunavada based on the coins published in our book. Some interesting questions and answers led me on to some new thoughts on a few of these coins.

Next was Harun who brought up a topic on the Mughal coins of Anhilwara Pattan. A very very short lived mint coins of just one emperor (Akbar) are known and that too for just two years 984 & 985. He proved with coin images that there are, for both years, coins with different legends the same legend / mint name used parallely on the coins in both years. He raised an important question were they issues of two different mints? One normally does not come across two different names / legends used on coins of the same ruler for the same mint except if there was a change (like Bandar Mubarak Surat to Surat for Aurangzeb), where as there is in this case two different mant names Dar Shahr Naharwala Pattan & Shahr Pattan used on the coins in both years. His contention was that there were two different mints one in the old town and one in the new town both located a short distance from the other. A member from the audience suggested that there was evidence that the second mint was actually Patan in Saurashtra. Harun also raised a point about the name of the town - whether it is Patan / Pattan with soft t's / Pattan with hard t's. He also had mentioned that Pattan with soft t's in Persian denoted city like Machhlipattan / Chinnapattan etc. A member from the audience mentioned that the name Pattan denoted a port city which Anhilwara Pattan was not. So there it stood.......a matter subject to further research.

The last presentation was by Mr Mahesh Kalra on classification of Mughal mints.........

Amit

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 09:49:45 AM »
Excellent stuff, Amit. You found the entrance to the speakers' circuit.
Thanks a lot, Peter. As I have always maintained, it was the support I received here and a few friends - mainly made on WoC that has kept me going.

Amit

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 11:38:15 AM »
Thank you for this nice report !

Anthony