Author Topic: unknown greek coin  (Read 2874 times)

Offline ghipszky

• Honorary Member
unknown greek coin
« on: August 08, 2009, 02:48:02 AM »
I found this coin while looking through a very expensive bag of coins. Since these type of coins aren't really my thing, I will need help with this one.
Ginger

Offline lehmansterms

• The Ruth and Louise McCollum Memorial Collection of Ancient Coins
Re: unknown greek coin
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 03:19:29 AM »
Ginger,

That would be "Siculo-Punic" - Carthage and environs - some were struck in Sicily under the Carthaginians in the Barcid era.  Head of Tanit left, wreathed with corn / Horse with palm-tree behind.
Cf. SG 6506-6511.  Approximately 2nd half of 3rd century BC - time of the Punic wars.  There are dozens of varieties all basically on the same pattern, but with various markings.
These are popular and bring pretty good money for what appears at first glance to be some "common bronze".  You didn't say what you paid out of this pick box, so I can't tell if you got a good deal or not.

Mark

Offline ghipszky

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 03:42:54 AM »
Wow what a lucky find and thanks for being so quick with the attribution. I am happily surprised.
I bought a lot of random coins a yr ago for $100 for 100 coins. I have found a few good coins in there. I thought most of them were just worthless. Maybe I should start posting some of the stranger ones.
Ginger

Offline lehmansterms

• The Ruth and Louise McCollum Memorial Collection of Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 04:23:04 AM »
Yes, you definitely should!

Mark

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 11:28:56 AM »
Great id, Mark. Congratulations, Ginger. You've already got your money's worth out of the fun you've had, I'd say.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline ghipszky

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 04:05:09 AM »
For sure and just like I said, I had a hard time sleeping. Last time I looked at the clock it said 1:15 am. This is the fun part of coin collecting, thinking something is junk and it is a jewel in my collection now.
Ginger

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 04:36:56 AM »
I envy your excitement and enthusiasm.  I still get a kick out of getting a coin I want but seems I
have lost that part.  I wonder where it went...  Congratulations!

Dale

Offline ghipszky

• Honorary Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 04:49:08 AM »
Too much repetition can cause that. I am going to spend some time with my magnifying glass looking through the rest of the bag of coins. Thanks Dale, it is fun to find something so special and so old.
Ginger

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 01:00:48 PM »
Wow what a lucky find and thanks for being so quick with the attribution. I am happily surprised.
I bought a lot of random coins a yr ago for $100 for 100 coins. I have found a few good coins in there. I thought most of them were just worthless. Maybe I should start posting some of the stranger ones.
Ginger
I must say: YOU ARE LUCKY!
Congrats,Ginger!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 06:23:29 PM »
I have attached Mark's words of wisdom to this thread, where they throw excellent light on the questions discussed there.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline ghipszky

• Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 04:53:38 AM »
Thanks Aditya!
Ginger