Author Topic: I cannot find beautiful website about African coins .. Has it crushed ??  (Read 2174 times)

Offline David_Mikeladze

Hello, one of  my favorite  website, "' African coins - All around Africa" disappeared and i  cannot find it.  Paul Baker was author ..
Do someone know what happend with site?
thank you very much
 David

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Do you have the original URL?  Might want to post it here.  You can try archive.org to see if it is cached...
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
I cannot find beautiful website about African coins .. Has it crushed ??
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 01:14:28 PM »
http://www.wbcc.fsnet.co.uk/

It is indeed down as you said. :(

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline David_Mikeladze

It would be great, -  My  love to African coins started  by that site...

yours
D

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
The website has indeed been offline for some time now. I was also wondering about it as it has a lot of information. Although there are 2 full copies in the Webarchive (some links on the forum have already been changed), I hope the website will be put online again in some way. The hosting provider of the original website does no longer exist.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Just FYI and you might want to mention this to Paul, but forumancientcoins.com hosts coin-based websites for free with backups and everything...
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
When Paul's page disappeared, I started to work harder for my gallery of African tokens at the Austrian numismatik-cafe.at
It took me some years, but in between there are more than 2,000 tokens, medals and other stuff listed.
btw: Some pictures there I got from Paul.

The gallery is a little bit hidden, because I wanted to start quiet without comments. You have to register and go to the "Galerie". There search for "Persönliche Alben der Mitglieder" (member's galleries) above the pictures, then look for Afrasi. After some Sudan-galleries follow the African states alphabetically with their exonumia.
But the language is German ...  ;)

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
Thanks for the comments....

Yes to see anything you need to use...

https://web.archive.org

pages. They seem to have archive of a never ending amount of info... but mainly all just from plain text and images and links.... Of course I cannot update anything.

My pages were in webspace that my ISP provided... but one day my ISP stopped providing webspace to any customers..... not fair.... They gave about one month's notice.

I still have the files on my PC so that they work as the website. All of it is basic html.... The total is about 15MB space because that was the limit of available space.

I have considered a move to googlesites.....

Thanks Mr Paul Baker
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 09:32:51 PM by africancoins »

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens

I have considered a move to googlesites.....

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Google sites has also been revamped to New Google sites but will be almost unusable for my purpose as far as I can see at present.

The old sites end next year with a promise that they can  be converted to New Google sites later this year but I have my doubts that my sites will be able to be converted as many are very big.

See migrate sites Here they say copy and paste, that's fair enough but the ability to edit anything after this is doubtful giving the way the new sites is set up. The ability to use code too has been removed!

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Here is one of my trials copying part of just one page:

Mystery tokens
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
My pages were in webspace that my ISP provided... but one day my ISP stopped providing webspace to any customers..... not fair.... They gave about one month's notice.

I still have the files on my PC so that they work as the website. All of it is basic html.... The total is about 15MB space because that was the limit of available space.

Your site is an important reference. If you wish, as a one off offer, WoC can provide webspace to your site as a service to collectors. Izotz has agreed to provide tech support if necessary. All we're asking is a link to WoC in your site. Otherwise, the space would be free. Contact me if you are interested.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline David_Mikeladze

Thank You very much, dear friends !  I love this site very much :)
yours
David

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
I cannot find beautiful website about African coins .. Has it crushed ??
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 09:00:08 AM »
Paul's website will be up and working very soon! 8) (It's almost there: wait for official announcement ;))

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline David_Mikeladze

great !!! thanks!!!