Author Topic: UK commemoratives: how are they chosen?  (Read 2259 times)

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Re: UK commemoratives: how are they chosen?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2019, 09:29:39 PM »
200th anniversary of the birth of Emily Brontė, I presume they meant...

Personally I think that in the context of the various literary figures already commemorated on the UK's coinage, all three Brontė sisters would be worthy of commemoration. But we have already passed the anniversary of Charlotte's birth (1816), so commemorating Emily would attract the question of why Charlotte was overlooked.

Online eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 09:52:28 PM »
200th anniversary of the birth of Emily Brontė, I presume they meant...

My bad, I have now amended the mistake.

Online eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2019, 09:14:47 AM »
--50th anniversary of the death of Enid Blyton (50 Pence)

Although there were issues with the language used in the original versions of some of her books, her continuing huge popularity and steps taken to revise the language stood in favour of endorsing the theme.The Royal Mint sub-committee on the selection of themes for United Kingdom coins did however mention issues related to the holders of the intellectual property rights which the Royal Mint still had to look into.That is likely the reason that no such coin was issued.

This was the reason mentioned in documents I received. The media has earlier today received documents which state very different reasons. Documents in which Royal Mint bosses are being quoted as saying that "she is a racist, sexist, homophobe and not a very well regarded writer" and that they feared "adverse reactions" if they did issue a coin for her.