Author Topic: CHINA. Inner Mongolia Chiao 1943 genuine?  (Read 307 times)

Offline lebedevr

• Reader
CHINA. Inner Mongolia Chiao 1943 genuine?
« on: February 21, 2017, 09:39:27 AM »
Hi, I found this China Inner Mongolia. Meng Chiang. 1 Chiao , Year 738 (1943). World War II Japanese Occupation Issue. Aluminium. weight 1,01 g.

Help me to identify it's genuine? and what is its price? Thanks!

high resolution:

Offline lebedevr

• Reader
Re: CHINA. Inner Mongolia Chiao 1943 genuine?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 01:05:41 PM »
milled edge of coin

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 11:43:03 PM »
This piece has the features described in KM of China, Japanese Puppet States, Meng Chiang Pn1. KM does not price the issue. I have been unable to find a picture on the net.

Following the resounding silence here, there are only two options. Either this is an extreme rarity or it is a modern imitation. In view of the recent increased interest of Chinese collectors in Chinese coins and the very high number of imitations coming out of China I am afraid that the latter option is much more likely.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline KennyisaG

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 07:38:58 AM »
JNDA (2008) has no mention of Inner Mongolia issues. However, your coin seems to match the poor quality of aluminium strikes for Japanese puppet states. I wouldn't be surprised if your coin was authentic
Numista Team Member: SmartOneKg

Offline coincoin.com

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 05:02:39 PM »
I've handled the Indonesian and rare Thai issues, but too long ago to remember specifics, and never heard of this issue before.  I am really impressed by the aged and stressed look of the piece.  There is some masterful work here, if it is a recent factory product, as I usually presume on such random finds.  Copper an silver are much easier to reproduce than aluminum.  I know someone who is well placed to judge it, but not likely a member of this forum, but unable to capture the large image from my screen.

The Norman Jacobs specimen (not this coin) was sold in Heritage Sept. 8, 2011 sale, lot 24430 for $9,000, and a poorer specimen sold by Stacks-Bowers inn 2014 for about the same.  The SB listing says this series was regular circulation coinage but "Due to maritime transportation problems during World War II, the shipment containing the majority of this mintage never arrived. It is believed the ship carrying nearly the entire mintage was torpedoed by submarines. Since the cargo was lost, very few examples of this issue have survived."

There are actually quite a few of this series that have come up in auction over the years.