Author Topic: Macedonian Kingdom: Antigonos II Gonatas (276-239 BCE) AR Tetradrachm, Pella  (Read 455 times)

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Macedonian Kingdom: Antigonos II Gonatas (276-239 BCE) AR Tetradrachm, Pella (Price 564)

Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion's skin headdress
Rev: AΛEΞANΔPOY; Zeus Aėtophoros seated left; in left field, torch below throne

A high-resolution image of this coin is available at FORVM Ancient Coins

A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
How do you know this coin was issued by Antigonus (whose bio is fascinating) and why was this coin struck in Pella if the only word on the coin refers to Alexander?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
How do you know this coin was issued by Antigonus (whose bio is fascinating) and why was this coin struck in Pella if the only word on the coin refers to Alexander?

Aside from the standard answer of "well, the dealer said so", one needs to read Price.  These Alexander Tets are very complex and the monograms, legends, and any other symbols, and style are typically the clues that one needs   to determine who issued them and where.  Furthermore, any important hordes are duly noted to identify possible mints. when it was issue and potentially by whom.  This particular tet is grouped under the so-called "Torch Series" where a torch is seen under the throne.  The consensus is that it was minted by Antigonus, possibly in Pella.  Furthermore information can be found by reading the following ANS Museum Notes, "The Armenak Hoard" by Margaret Thompson.  Price references her work during the attribution:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=inu.30000108391180;view=1up;seq=73

Ram
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 01:13:08 PM by Quant.Geek »

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Thank you, QG. I assumed you knew and were well documented. Others can now profit from your knowledge.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member