News:

Read all about the Grand Numismatic Alliance

Main Menu

The Netherlands 2017: Dick Bruna

Started by eurocoin, February 17, 2017, 02:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurocoin

In 2017, the Royal Dutch Mint is planning to issue a 5 euro collectors coin to commemorate the life and work of artist Dick Bruna who passed away earlier today. He was well known for his drawings of miffy.

Years ago the Royal Dutch Mint already minted coins for Niue which depicted miffy.

Figleaf

Bruna is a hit with my two sweet granddaughters, but a coin ... ?

When I was young and innocent, West Side Story was a great hit. Some of my class mates got into a discussion with our music teacher (must have been an ungrateful job) about whether the West Side Story music could be compared with classical music. He argued that classical music is what is still being played at least a century later. Now, about half a century later, the West Side Story music is totally forgotten.

Bruna is on the level of Leonard Bernstein; not on the level of Beethoven.

However, it is at least a step up from Cruyff. :P

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

<k>

I had never heard of this man before. Was he a musician, or was he a man who drew a fictional rabbit? And if so, why not a coin celebrating his fictional rabbit? Why should Britain be the only country that has to have fictional rabbits on its coins?   >:(
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

eurocoin

The issuance of this coin was cancelled, eventually there was chosen to issue a coin for the 150th anniversary of the Red Cross.

chrisild

While I understand it makes some sense for mints to produce pieces that commemorate people who pretty much everybody (except <k> ;D ) knows, that should in my opinion not result in a "mint the coin before the body is six feet under" kind of policy. So I am glad it got canceled. Hint for the mint: The 100th anniversary of Bruna's birth will be in 2027 ...

Christian