Author Topic: Macedonian Kingdom: Kassander (317-298 BCE) AR Tetradrachm, Amphipolis  (Read 144 times)

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Macedonian Kingdom: Kassander (317-298 BCE) AR Tetradrachm, Amphipolis (Price 468; Ehrhardt 36)

Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion's skin headdress
Rev: AΛEΞANΔPOY; Zeus Aėtophoros seated left; in left field, Λ above torch; kantharos below throne

A high-resolution image of this coin is available at FORVM Ancient Coins

A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Macedonian Kingdom: Kassander (317-298 BCE) AR Tetradrachm, Amphipolis
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 05:53:00 PM »
Nice series of Alexander type tetradrachms you posted today. All by themeselves they look very fine. But looking and comparing the series you showed really makes an impression !

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 03:14:07 AM »
Nice series of Alexander type tetradrachms you posted today. All by themeselves they look very fine. But looking and comparing the series you showed really makes an impression !

Thanks Anthony!  I just fell in love with these Greek tets.  The artistic nature of these hammered coins are just wonderful.  Puts other hammered coins to shame, especially when they were struck several centuries (and even, a millennium) later...
A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 01:10:39 PM »
The coin is an imitation of coins in the name of Alexander the Great. However, Cassander actively disregarded Alexander's testament, killed his mother (breaking his oath to spare her life), his wife and his son. The coin is magnificent example of how coins lie.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.