Author Topic: New series of circulating coins for the Isle of Man  (Read 2294 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
New series of circulating coins for the Isle of Man
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2017, 08:06:43 AM »
The sets are now available at Isle of Man coins and stamps (the official distributor) for 37.5 pounds: https://www.iompost.com/stamps-coins/product/2017-isle-of-man-decimal-coin-set/

An increase of no less than 50 percent in price of these sets and that for the poor quality they offer.

So generous of them to offer free shipping! ;D Not sure if the shipping is free only for UK/IoM addresses or any international address.

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
Re: New series of circulating coins for the Isle of Man
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2017, 07:20:12 PM »
The sets are now available at Isle of Man coins and stamps (the official distributor) for 37.5 pounds: https://www.iompost.com/stamps-coins/product/2017-isle-of-man-decimal-coin-set/

An increase of no less than 50 percent in price of these sets and that for the poor quality they offer.

Just bought my set - paid £31.95 elsewhere......
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2017, 10:58:18 PM »
^^ Yes, I've seen that same offer!

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
New series of circulating coins for the Isle of Man
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2017, 08:13:23 AM »
Just bought my set - paid £31.95 elsewhere......

Still too expensive IMO, I think I will wait until the loose unc coins appear in the market. I'm interested only in the £2 and £5 coin (and may be the £1 coin too, as it may disappear in near future!)

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2017, 12:05:18 PM »
In the info from Island Stamps and Coins, it states:

Isle of Man 2017 Celtic Theme Decimal Coin Set

The 2017 circulating coins of the Isle of Man feature a new Celtic theme and can be found here in this special collectors pack. With the decision not to include the copper 1p and 2p coins in this year’s issue, your 2017 set will features just 7 coins, including the brand new more compact £5 coin which will go into general circulation in April 2017.

Is this correct?  Is the £5 really going to be a general circulation coin?

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2017, 12:14:17 PM »
In the info from Island Stamps and Coins, it states:

Isle of Man 2017 Celtic Theme Decimal Coin Set

The 2017 circulating coins of the Isle of Man feature a new Celtic theme and can be found here in this special collectors pack. With the decision not to include the copper 1p and 2p coins in this year’s issue, your 2017 set will features just 7 coins, including the brand new more compact £5 coin which will go into general circulation in April 2017.

Is this correct?  Is the £5 really going to be a general circulation coin?

Tower mint made the same claim about the Gibraltar £5, both have such small mintages that they cannot circulate widely - presume they are like UK £5 in this respect.

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2017, 02:07:37 PM »
I've succumbed to the same offer that andyg did.  It's actually not that bad a deal considering the Royal Mint charge £30 for the standard £2 to 1p.  This one may not have the 1p or 2p but does have the £5.  There are already offers on eBay for the loose coins but can't see anything below £20 so far.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 12:17:42 PM by Alan71 »

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2017, 08:05:48 PM »
The local distributors that are selling the sets and the IOM Treasury have received a large amount of complaints about the BU sets and the commemorative 50p House of Keys Election Act coin. While the sales of both products already were very disappointing, on top of that many people have now also sent their stuff back and have demanded a refund.

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2017, 08:36:38 PM »
I received the House of Keys one and was quite impressed with it.  I just got the basic plastic pocket version but the coin showed no signs of finger prints or scratches.

I'm expecting to get the BU set tomorrow.  After Eurocoin's post, I'm again not expecting much in terms of quality but will update.

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2017, 06:51:21 PM »
Got the set and, whilst it's by no means flawless, it isn't that bad either.  The coins don't appear to be in Brilliant Uncirculated standard.  In fact, the pack makes no mention that they're meant to be.  It is termed "Currency Coin Collection", suggesting these are examples of the same coins struck for circulation.

If I look closely, I might see the odd trace of a finger mark here and there, and the coins have a few nicks in, but nothing bad enough to send back and demand a refund.  Eurocoin's posts have probably helped though in that I was expecting the worst.  If he'd said they're flawless and perfect, I'd have been disappointed with any very slight defect.  That's often the case with me though - build something up and I'll almost certainly be unhappy.  Talk it down and I'm usually satisfied with it.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2017, 07:06:29 PM »
The 3 sets I ordered whilst not so good as a royal mint set are perfectly acceptable. 

Alan makes the point that these are not BU coins and nor do they claim to be.
Not sure what all the fuss is about really. 

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2017, 03:43:13 PM »
Today there was a meeting at the Isle of Man Treasury with several important people. They are going to investigate all of the complaints and people who have received bad coins in the sets are urged to not send them back to the dealer but directly to the treasury. It has also emerged that the Isle of Man Post Office has been selling coins in special folders which mentioned "proof quality" while the coins weren't proof coins at all.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2017, 07:35:41 PM »
For our members who absolutely can not believe the problems even exist, below the new disclaimer of the Isle of Man Post Office:

And a random Isle of Man coin below, not the best I have seen, by far not the worst I have seen. Someone bought it in the webshop of one of the official distributors for 10 Pounds (!):

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2017, 07:43:57 PM »
And one of the other problems, dents so deep that one would almost wonder if they did it on purpose, this is a 5 Pounds coin from a set that costs 32 GBP (!), just some random complaints of the many that I have seen.

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2017, 07:54:35 PM »
I love their get-out clause.  Can have finger prints?  Since when is that OK for coins sealed in a pack?

I agree, those two coins do look terrible, in particular the 50p.

I guess I was just lucky with mine - but I possibly would have been disappointed had I not read your post about complaints, eurocoin.  My expectations were somewhat lowered.

It is overpriced for what you're getting... if all of these flaws are more likely than not, then it shouldn't be being sold for more than £20 in my opinion.  The Royal Mint sells a set of the eight standard-design coins for £30, but at least they are Brilliant Uncirculated.