News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Collecting euro coins

Started by JeanPar, June 20, 2007, 02:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you collecting euro coins?

I collect all euro coins including all commemoratives
I collect all euro coins in Bu-sets or in Proof-sets
I collect all 'normal' euro coins and the comm. 2-euro coins
I collect only the commemoratives excluded 2-euro coins
I collect only all 'normal' euro coins
I collect only 2-euro commemoratives
I collect all euro coins of 2002
I collect circulated euro coins as well as uncirculated coins
I collect only circulated euro coins
I collect only uncirculated euro coins
I collect one coin per type, it does not matter which country
I collect euro coins but there's no option to fill-in. Please explain
I hate euro coins and do not collect them. Please explain
I voted twice

JeanPar

With a poll it seems to be nice, to know how many euro coins collectors we have here. 8) How they collect. I myself collected until 2007 all euro coins included the commemorative 2 euro coins and from the Netherlands the other commemoratives too. In addition, the euro coins of Vatican, San Marino and Monaco. A lot of them are in BU or Proof-sets. Others are uncirculated, but when a coin was not in circulation, I always bought the BU-set (or Proof). Sometimes I bought a commemorative from another country like the 10-euro coins of Belgium, Tin tin and some first-ones of 2002. If I liked a coin of another euro country, very much (like the Pinocchio 10 euro coin above the forum in the header 8)) I bought it. Since the beginning of this year, I have collected only the special 2-euro coins and the other commemoratives of the Netherlands and the euro coins of the Vatican and San Marino. I thought to have 5 years of euro coins complete, from 2002 until 2007, but at the end of 2006 Monaco again issued a very expensive coin set  :( that I didn?t buy. Thus, I have 5 years complete except the set of Monaco 2006. Further, I started in 2003 collecting World coins.   

You can vote twice, e.g. I collect all eurocoins. I collect circulated. :)

bart

As I am a collector of world coins, euro coins have a place in my collection.
I try to get one coin of each different type, whatever country it is issued by, but, by preference, circulated ones.
Still, I am not paying much money to get all the silver commemorative coins, neither the "normal" ones from the Vatican. (On the other hand, if someone ever wants to donate those to my collection, I will not refuse them and I will incorporate them in the whole of my collection. I will not sell such a "gift")

bart

a3v1

Shouldn't JeanPar differentiate the silver euro coin issues in two categories?
1. The silver coins issued in UNC and sold at face value (and thus being able of circulating),
2. The silver coins issued (mostly in Proof) and sold at prices far over their face value.
It is imaginable that many collectors will regard the first category as "proper" coins, while regarding the second category as "coinlike gadgets for collectors" or NCLT's, and will be collecting accordingly.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

muntenman

Every coin that is intended to circulate instead of being bought by merchants for collectors only, is a possible target for my collection.

For example: Austria has very nice and historical 5 and 10 euro-coins in silver. And they do circulate in Austria. German 10 euro-coins you also see frequently within your change over there. An aquaintance of mine went to Italy for a holiday and rescued a number of Torino and European Constitution Commeratives in the region of Tuscany at the local campingsite. He did not even collect coins, so a large number will be brought to my doorstep...

If a Euro-coin does not circulate in other area than the issuing country intends too, I hope to receive 1 piece of each, just because it is intended for daily circulation over there and has no surplus at the pricetag in moment of issuing.

A Belgian 10 euro coin for example shall not circulate, because it costs you round and about 30 euro to obtain   the coin with a nominal value of... 10 euro. A 2 euro coin Vatican from the Swiss Guard with nominal value which exceeds to a firm issuing price of 50 euro is hard to believe whether it shall circulate in the future.

If you have the desire to collect euro because of the fact that so much historic coins are traded in for it at 2002, you can keep the collection affordable without desiring Monaco, San Marino and Vatican.

I also like to collect all other coins as well, and I do not think about the fact that a Hungarian Forint or a Swiss franc or an American or Canadian Quarter is not worthwhile to collect because of the fact that you cannot pay the bills with them over here in the Netherlands. Every new coin edited into the market will become one day part of local or world history.

It is sofort my opinion to ask yourself the following question:

Do I collect my coins to use them for paying bills in the near future, for historical awareness of as a reminder of my holidays abroad?

And my collection is just from Roman times until 2007... holidayfun, historical and made by craftsmen.
GLOBAL MODERATOR under the name of GRIVNAGOZER at www.munthunter.nl

a3v1

Quote from: muntenman on June 22, 2007, 07:20:30 PM
A 2 euro coin Vatican from the Swiss Guard with nominal value which exceeds to a firm issuing price of 50 euro is hard to believe whether it shall circulate in the future.
That may be so, but your remark is even much harder to believe for those who know.
The issuing price of this coin was ? 11, including packaging and worldwide postage.
You'd better check your facts before posting biased misinformation.

As I said on another forum:
The Euro coins do not deserve any beauty prize, their intrinsic value is negligible, and many are sold far over their face value.
But as a group they are most fascinating for their enormous diversity and for their vast area of circulation, parallelled in history only by Roman coins.
Regards,
a3v1
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Figleaf

@ a3v1: I do not have the detailed info at hand you have. You don't say if the 2 euro piece was sold separately or in a set. However, in both cases, an issue price of ?11 means the same thing: the piece will not circulate, because the holder will incur a loss by circulating it. Moreover, if the going price rises above the issue price, the issue price is no longer relevant and as long as there is demand for the piece it becomes even more unlikely that the piece will circulate.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

a3v1

@ Peter,
For your information: This coin was issued and sold separately, it came in a blister, and was delivered on any doormat for ? 11 without any extra costs.
My reply didn't imply that this coin will be found circulating. In any case this will be a NCLT coin.
I was objecting, however, against the false issuing price "muntenman" mentioned.
He does this time and again, always claiming that Vatican City are selling their coins at extremely high prices, obviously not knowing the difference between "issuing price" and "market price". Anyone is entitled to have his own biases provided they keep on sticking to the truth.
Regards,
a3v1   
-------------

Geert

:-[

I can't vote

my answer is 1 and 2 and 14

best regards

after i have post this message i vote for 1 i can't vote 3x  :'(

Figleaf

Readers (those who haven't posted 3 times yet) don't have all rights. This is spam protection. For a full explanation, look here. Muntenman designed the poll so hat you have two votes.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

I know my reply to this topic is too late and (hopefully) most of (regular) members know my collecting interests ;D

I don't find any option in the poll which  describes my interest.I collect only 1 and 2 Euro (circulated/ uncirculated) coins (general circulatory and commemoratives) of E.U. member states only,by mint and by design.So far,I have got a reasonably decent Euro collection (Thanks to some contacts in Europe and Peter :) ).

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.