Author Topic: The Camino and the Coin  (Read 802 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
The Camino and the Coin
« on: January 23, 2017, 04:50:08 AM »
Today I introduced a 5 cent coin to some people in California. ;) Currently I am near Los Angeles (yeah, pouring rain, thanks for your pity), and together with an American friend did a presentation about the Camino de Santiago (Way of St. James) earlier today. Had to leave some of the raunchy stuff out as there were a few children in the audience. So I did not talk about the bits from the Codex Calixtinus that dealt with the people in Navarra and who they had intercourse with, according to the author ...

However, one of my "slides" showed a Spanish 5 cent coin. As most here will know, it features the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela:

The idea was that countries usually put things on their coins that they (well, the governments) consider to be important. So if that church is on each 1, 2 and 5 ct coin from Spain, that must be relevant for the people there. Somebody asked a question about the design, and I started explaining the concept of the euro coins - same reverse, country specific obverses, etc.

Then I went on a little, until I got a stern look from my friend, hehe. OK, back to the Camino then. But I was able to talk about coins, and I don't think anybody found that off-topic. I even answered two coin related questions. Loved it. ;)

Thanks for letting me brag. Tomorrow there will be more indoor activities. I mean, it's been raining cats and dogs, tigers and wolves ... what else could I do?

Christian

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: The Camino and the Coin
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 12:57:51 PM »
Nice going, Christian. The euro needs more familiarity outside its own area and CA is a good place to start. People like to think in frameworks they are familiar with, but the melting pot approach is a completely wrong framework for European integration. That's why the states quarters, though they circulate, are totally different from the circulating euro coins.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: The Camino and the Coin
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 06:02:27 PM »
Nah, this was a friendly audience. Some may have thought of the SQ coins, but nobody brought them up. There was a question about the stars though, and I explained that the number does not change, and that on the coins they appear the way they are shown on the flag. Well, this was primarily about the Camino, but I guess the younger ones found the coin - something from "everyday life" - interesting too. I even had an actual coin with the cathedral with me - 2 ct though, maybe some would have liked the "groovy" edge. Alas, no time for that. ;)

Christian